What fixed wheel commuter frame?

Maybe doesn't look retro enough for your tastes, but how about a Condor Tempo? I've got a Condor Pista (essentially the same), and they're very good bikes.

http://www.condorcycles.com/tempo.html

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/urban/product/tempo-32343

condor_tempo_side_hi.jpg

Edit: I've realised it doesn't have rear facing dropouts. But having track-ends and mudguards is a pain if you get a rear wheel puncture.

It's certainly a thought but at £500 for the frame it's also more expensive than an off the peg Bob Jackson Vigorelli.

I reckon I'm resigned to Pompino or substantial cash investment (not that the Pompino is a bad frame, it's absolutely fine and certainly good value for money).

Pricier than a Pompino, but not as expensive as a Condor, Bob Jackson etc; how about a Surly Steamroller? People who own them, tend to love them.

small_img_8082.jpg

Had a Steamroller :oops: but the one I had was without cable guides for a rear brake (although a little strangely the brake bridge was drilled) and mudguard fitting was only via P-clips (which are I guess what are used in the photo). Nice solid frame and fork though.

You want one of these:

Pearson Hanzo

Just bought one myself...........it has a nice retro feel about.

Or the same frame sans logos from Charlie the Bikemonger on ebay

Sorry I tried to include the actual URL's but this Forum is the first I've come across that won't let you unless you have five previous posts :shock:

Regards,
Bob

For a commuter with guards, I'd probably stick with forward facing drop-outs - getting a wheel out of track ends with mudguards is a right faff. If you can live with XACD's expensive shipping, getting a custom titanium frame would be still cheaper than many steel frames.

Pompino's are tomorrow's classic. Keep it to fund your pension ;)

I've just acquired a lovely Carlton track frame - but it's only a 22" so a bit tiddly for you.

Going to become a 'fixie' myself!

Just seen the new Mini fixed in Cycling Plus - not what I'd get but does look pretty cool.

Oh, and the mudguards on the Pompino have quick release brackets so no real problem with the rearward facing ends.

Actually the main problem with the Pompino is the poor decals which, the more I think about it, is a really stupid reason to be even idly considering a new bike. Surely I could get some custom 'panels' printed up and just stick them over the offending decals? Perhaps 'Ced Wards' in reflective on white?

Back