1990 Overburys Pioneer

sunchaser":1vlo8ayp said:
Really like your bike although I know nothing about Overbury's :oops:

Only thing I'm not too sure about is the fork. It seems to have too many bends, Almost like it's bent backwards.

Was that how forks looked from this era?

The forks were designed this way and give a really 'springy' feel.
They do look a bit strange though, I do admit!

What a top find. Cool to get something like this which is unused with all docs etc!

Where is that pic on the river taken? Not FoD is it?

John":32hfyh68 said:
What a top find. Cool to get something like this which is unused with all docs etc!

Where is that pic on the river taken? Not FoD is it?

Pic taken in the New Forest, at Brockenhurst :D

NICE bike!!

I had an Overbury's Pioneer back in 1989. Went to their shop in Bristol to get measured-up for it and chose Colnago Red for the frame and forks. Had the then 'new' Campagnolo Centaur Groupset fitted and a Cinelli Vertical saddle.

Here is a (bad) scan from the only pic I have of the machine.

Not long after the pic was taken I transferred the groupset to my (current) 1990 Dyna-Tech 2070 in Team colours and sold-on the frame and forks. I have always been a Raleigh man but I so-wish now that I had kept the Overburys, the frame finish was superb.

Attachments

• Overburys Pioneer Dec 1989.jpg
    Overburys Pioneer Dec 1989.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 2,158
How well did / does the Campag stuff work? Seem to recall it had a reputation for being rather on the heavy side, but can't remember anything about functionality.

Yes the Campagnolo Centaur MTB groupset was/is very heavy and quite over-engineered for its' time (the brake levers a case-in-point). The hubs are still running great after 20 years of abuse. The ratchet on the click-shift thumbie for the rear gear broke years' ago and so gear changing has been in semi-friction/guess-work mode. I have obtained a pair of NOS thumbies now and must get them fitted. Like a lot of things-Italian, the thumbie and brake lever brackets, being steel, are prone to rusting (and mine have). I couldn't (yet) make any comments about Campag MTB rims as I originally had Mavic M6 Oxygenes fitted to the Overburys (and later on the Dyna-Tech). It's only in the last couple of years, and thanks to t'internet, that I managed to obtain a pair of Campag Mirox rims for the Dyna-Tech and they have yet to have had much abuse. I also recently got a pair of Campag K2 rims for the Dyna-Tech MT5 I have, and they look 'Sweet'.

Currently Owned Cycles
1990 Dyna-Tech 2070 (Team Colours) http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... ewsIndex=1
1992 Dyna-Tech MT5 http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... ewsIndex=1
1989 Carlton Randonneur touring cycle (Raleigh SPD) http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... ewsIndex=1
1990s Pashley WorkBike
1926 Gents' BSA Single-speed. 28-inch wheels
1930's Gents Sturmey-Archer 3-speed. 28-inch wheels
1950's Ladies Humber Sturmey-Archer 3-speed.
1960's Childs Phillips single-speed.

Attachments

• DYNABARS.JPG
    DYNABARS.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,066
Makster - that stem (I'm pretty sure) is an an Odyssey Vapor. Would you mind posting a good pic of the stem viewed side on ?
I had one of these and the guy I sold it to was asking about cable routing. A pic would be really handy to pass on.

Nice looking bike. If you wanted to save some weight I'd start with the wheels, and I think you could make this change with altering the retro appearance much. Maybe some mavic 231cd rims with hope or xt hubs ?
Other fairly easy places to lose weight would be seatpost, bars, pedals.

Anyway, the main thing is that you enjoy the bike.

Here is my Vapor along with my 1990 Koga Miyata Ridgerunner. Hope this helps ...

Attachments

• 100_1125.JPG
    100_1125.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,017
raymondluxuryyacht":3tr5s7wm said:
Makster - that stem (I'm pretty sure) is an an Odyssey Vapor. Would you mind posting a good pic of the stem viewed side on ?
I had one of these and the guy I sold it to was asking about cable routing. A pic would be really handy to pass on.

Nice looking bike. If you wanted to save some weight I'd start with the wheels, and I think you could make this change with altering the retro appearance much. Maybe some mavic 231cd rims with hope or xt hubs ?
Other fairly easy places to lose weight would be seatpost, bars, pedals.

Anyway, the main thing is that you enjoy the bike.

Here ya go...

NOS010.jpg

Hope that helps matey.

Will probably be selling the Overburys this year as I hate seeing it just sat there. I've got other bikes that I ride and dont see the point in having something just to look at :?

Back