Look MI90 dump find - No sure what to do with it.

agentorange

rBotM Winner
Picked this up yesterday for virtually nothing. Don't know a lot about these & the Campag Themus (spelling) groupset makes it hard to date. Says it has a quad-butted CrMo tubes with a host of Ritchey parts i.e. rims, stem, bars & tyres (z-max but walls are gone) but the part that caught my attention was the full Campag groupset, never seen one close up, more style than function but interesting none-the-less. If I were to date this I'd say 88.

Condition-wise this need a lot of TLC especially the frame where there are areas of surface rust. Still deciding what to do with it, the only parts I need for other projects are the wheels but I'm tempted to do something with the frame as it's a good size & very light.

Would appreciate some suggestions or info on this bike.

Sorry about the mobile pics

4125122478_554972dd0c_o.jpg

4125122646_a649bab9b6_o.jpg

4125122808_b57b1bc2f6_o.jpg

4124353445_c3f0363b8d_o.jpg

4125123330_4c68787424_o.jpg

That is a really good find :cool: , every time I look up the tip its just lawn mowers and cheapo halfords tat .

This will be a great bike if you can bring back to life.

It doesn't look like that old a frame to me. The deceased threaded RST 361 is a c96 era item, which is a few cm shorter now than when it was alive, but even so the striking things about the frame are the very steep head angle and the considerable bottom bracket drop below the line of the hub centres. Both of these characteristics indicate that it is looking for a much longer fork. It's difficult to tell for certain, but I'd be surprised if it isn't a suspension-adjusted geometry frame. That dates it to c94 or later.

I know nothing about Look, but if it's a reasonably light frame, it should be worth restoring.

Look features in Bikepedia only in 1993, when all the models listed were fillet-brazed. As your frame looks as though it is TIG-welded, I think that's further evidence that your frame is later. The MI-90 isn't listed, but the implication is that it was a c$1,000 bike.
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... Brand=Look

That's a great find, Look bikes were pretty high end at the time, my guessing is that it dates around '91-92 looking at the campag bits and other components. The RST forks are definitely non original as others have pointed out...it may have originally come with ritchey logic forks iirc? As for the frame, it would definitely be worth restoring but would probably need a good bit of checking out for internal rusting, I'm guessing that's fairly thin walled steel there :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Really nice find.. really liked the looks BITD

Depending on price I would be very interested.. :)

Re: MI-90

agentorange":l4ymvrqx said:
According to the Internet Bike Database the bike is from 1990 - http://ibikedb.net/bikes/23855?f=fb. A 27-gear bike in 1990 wa squite rare.
You seem to be reading that to mean that a bike called a Look MI-90 was made only in 1990, so yours must be 1990. I would read it to mean that a bike called a Look MI-90 was made in 1990, but yours could be another year.

Establishing whether the frame is suspension-adjusted would give a guide to its age. No need to pump up the tyres, just measure the heights of the front and rear axles and the bb centre, also the length of the fork from the crown race to the axle centre. We should be able to tell from those measurements roughly what length of fork it was designed for.

Back