What is mid-range?

andrewl":1on7ahl0 said:
eastcoaststeve":1on7ahl0 said:
Not sure if this makes any sense to anyone but myself, but I always value other's opinions (even though I might not agree), and in the spirit of fun I'm along for the ride.

Well that makes sense to me ;)

I think I've entered BOTM on 5 or seperate occasions and have a voting total of 2 (maybe 3), so maybe the reminder that its just a bit of fun needs to be highlighted(?) :cool:

your latest aquisition should garner a few more votes than that ;)

interesting thread...hope the voting turns out to be equally interesting.

Next month:

only elite/high-end

:LOL: that should lead to some interesting debate

GoldenEraMTB":1qckw3uk said:
Next month:

only elite/high-end

Is that elite/high end, nothing lesser than Record OR and must be a garage queen?? :LOL:

andrewl":2mbel3wf said:
GoldenEraMTB":2mbel3wf said:
Next month:

only elite/high-end

Is that elite/high end, nothing lesser than Record OR and must be a garage queen?? :LOL:

:LOL:

I'm sure there are other guys, from elsewhere on the web, far more qualified than I, to answer that question ;)

:LOL:

eastcoaststeve":z6s48xk2 said:
Not trying to fan the flames, but I think part of the riff is folks are trying to wrap a few different issues up in one neat little definition, and it's getting all lumpy...

1st part: This month's BOTM was dubbed by John as a Mid-Range Special, (mid -range was catagorized by him, solely as a level of COMPONENTS. Thus it leaves room for what may be perceived as "higher end" frames with acceptable, by his standard components. I'm sure John chose this route for simplicity and for the lattitude and variety of bikes it will encompass.
John":z6s48xk2 said:
This time it's mid range special. How have we defined mid range for the sake of this BoTM? No bikes with better components than Mountain LX / Deore LX or Suntour XCD, that goes for the entire gruppo.

I'm sure this one will cause some debate and be a real headache :LOL: Remember it is a bit of fun and judges decision for eligibility is final.
In fairness, that's just John's comment on the criteria for the poll for this month, this is the comments that spawned the idea:-
Jimzano":z6s48xk2 said:
i have to say though,as much as i adore those bikes,im a bit de-sensitized to the bling,can we have a breakaway type for the non-Klein garage queens,give the little man a chance?
you can have your premier league,we'll go championship,with our Clockworks and Cannondales...whos with me? (by the way,i am not inciting a seperatist riot here!).

Personally, I think there's a certain spirit to what was being suggested or asked for, and I don't think the spirit of it was simply higher-end frames, dressed-down with a qualifying groupset, in order to fulfill the criteria set-out by John, that's all.

It's one thing to say "So what if my bike / frame is more high-end and boutique - it fits the groupset requirements...", but in fairness to all this, the comments that actually instigated this should be taken on board.

It's a one-off BOTM, effectively inspired by comments above, when there's "normal" BOTM every month, it does seem a bit churlish to play spoiler to the intent of this one-off.

rockhopper. bear valley. cinder cone.

maybe there's mid range of upper echelon too...

merlin mountain, klein rascal, buckshaver.....

:?:

OK, I'll throw in my opion also on 'Mid-range'...

As I look at frames, most of the time I look at the details, as most of you I reckon. But some typically mid-range details are eyelets on the drop-outs for fenders and that kind of stuff.. regardsless of the tube-set.

Most of the time you'll find something like Deore LX or 'lower' on these bikes OEM.

...but then again, that's just what I think...

;)

Reading this has made my head spin but it makes more sense to me if I line it up like the Top Gear :oops: cool wall, e.g...

Seriously Uncool---Under £300, 100gs etc.

Uncool--------------£300/£500, 300lx, Alivio etc.

Cool----------------£500 - £800, STX LX DX etc.

Sub Zero----------£800+.

There's then a seperate fridge for all the really exotic stuff that the mags used to refer to as 'Super Bikes'.

I'd call mid range 'Cool'. I always thought mid range was Eldridge, Clockwork LX, Rockhopper and the like.

BTW, I only really collect pre '95 bikes when life was so much simpler. Guess things changed when Sus and Full Sus became the norm. :? :cool:

Latest posts

Back