What to do with this Kirk frame?

I remember lusting after a kirk when I was a kid but reviews were not good heavy and prone to snapping. The examples I have seen don't generally go for much and I'm kicking myself for letting those slip by when they came around as I have not seen any for a while now.

Just noticed on the op picture though that the front mech hanger is missing, which could seriously effect resale value unless of course you have it somewhere.

And yeah those std forks look well out of place but I guess cast magnesium would snap as soon as you put the stem in! Perhaps some modern chunky carbon ones would work with it.

Makrie":3or6plqt said:
Fantastic article, thanks!

Yes, a well written piece. Particularly interesting is the part regarding frame design. Reading between the lines I wonder if the motivation for the non-standard down tube placement was more to do with a desire for being different than anything else...

Tel":8mhzvo6f said:
I remember lusting after a kirk when I was a kid but reviews were not good heavy and prone to snapping. The examples I have seen don't generally go for much and I'm kicking myself for letting those slip by when they came around as I have not seen any for a while now.

Just noticed on the op picture though that the front mech hanger is missing, which could seriously effect resale value unless of course you have it somewhere.

And yeah those std forks look well out of place but I guess cast magnesium would snap as soon as you put the stem in! Perhaps some modern chunky carbon ones would work with it.

Yeah, the frame shown with the easton fork above does look more 'right'.

Agreed, you'll struggle to find a replacemewnt mech, iirc it's a special kirk only fit...

is this the frame I seem to remember getting an airing on tomorrow's world? They drove a car over the frame and it came out unblemished and rated it as the future of indistructable bikes.
BTW where do you fit a drinks bottle?

Looks smarter in white, I reckon! :D

Be interesting to see how much it goes for - this could be the start of the Kirk revival!

I've seen a few of these go for between £80-100 lately on t'bay... but missing that front mech hanger will be a killer! They're unique to Kirk.

Loving the white - it's certainly one of the better looking examples I've seen... personally, I've always wanted a polished Kirk - how sweet would that look!?

My lbs didn't think it would be too difficult to get a braze-on front mech to fit.
I've no idea but surely it would be possible to make some sort of hanger if necessary?

nfrang":1l4w24g9 said:
I've no idea but surely it would be possible to make some sort of hanger if necessary?

:shock: You reckon!? If I were you I'd try to get one made before I sell it or you could 'SELL IT TO ME' for a knock down price and I'll see if I can work round it, tis a shame though.

Good theres one on Ebay at least you'll get an idea of how much they're worth, although his is not in need of respray and has a front mech hanger (I presume). Must say though personally I prefer the red ;)

Back