Proclaiming the Zaskar the best retro bike ever :)

Russell":1dvtxffj said:
radar":1dvtxffj said:
Out of interest what were the other frames?

It's the best bikes thay've ridden in the past 10 years so the likes of the RC100 etc won't be there.

DMR Trailstar
GT Zaskar
Commencal Meta 5
Specialized Stumpy M4
Cannondales CAAD5 range
Intense Tracer
Turner 5 Spot
Giant VT
Santa Cruz Superlight
Specialized Enduro

Can't say much for MBR as a magazine myself (I think it's rubbish), but at least they picked one good bike ;)

Gotta say it's been one of my all time favs... after finishing that Rascal I'll probably be on the lookout for one of those (around 92/93 and ball-burnished of course!) :)

Still remember those way cool GT ads in magazines with that Hans Rey dude... a Zaskar frame with shiny bling-bling MAG21 SL forks just looks awesome to me (maybe even better than the 1990 Team Attitude from KLEIN) :oops:

Hans Rey - there's a blast from the past.

Remember being 14 and looking at pics of him doing table tops on VERY small rocks on what looked like a 14 inch zaskar..

He also poured coke on his rims to make braking better. Now there's a real man! Always thought disk brakes were for wusses. Must have attracted loads of wasps with that setup and GT team colour jersey.

I think GTs lost it for me when in the same year they had triple triangle, groove tube, flip flop stem etc.. marketing men went a bit nuts.

The Zaskar and Xizang were real class bike though. Just like so many other companies, lost their way a touch IMO, and the Zaskar is no longer the quality rare frame it started out as :cry:

Back