Work bikes

Just be patient. I watched loads of frames and bikes go out of my price range on eBay but, eventually, I found this, no bids, £27 start price. Seller obviously not a mountain biker. Bike had been stood in a shed for years and some parts were seized up, and it was pickup only. All served to put folks off I reckon.

But I figured a bit of lube, tyres pumped up and it would be OK. Turned out it was a woman selling her ex-husband's bike (having decided not to saw it to bits in revenge). It was near Sheffield so I asked if she'd deliver it for an extra fiver, which she did. Spent a weekend fettling it, put a new (non-retro! *blush*) bottom bracket on it, and hey presto!

So there are bargains out there. You just need to be prepared to go round the houses a bit and put some work in.

I only have a short commute
2miles in either direction.
one way all down hill
one way all back up.

This is what I use most of the time.
(also it folds).
Airnimal Chameleon fixed gear.
sometimes it has Nitto drops on it.

;]

Attachments

• DSCN5095.JPG
    DSCN5095.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 4,422
  • DSCN5094.JPG
    DSCN5094.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 4,418
  • DSCN5092.JPG
    DSCN5092.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 4,422
  • DSCN5091.JPG
    DSCN5091.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 4,422
well not actually retro :roll: but it is my work bike :D

Airnimal started knocking these out in 1998
designed in the UK by Richard Loke and built by Pacific Cycles in Taiwan.

Mine is a 2005 frame which I threw a ЭNO hub into to make it fixie
and use a NVO stem to make the fold a little smaller.
looks pretty retro as Its got a 'kitchen custom' distressed paint job
(looks like it just washed up on a beach).

;]

Well.....my Workbike is my work bike. A Pashley Workbike, but known affectionately as Linford. Why Linford? Well he is fast, black, and carries a lot 'up-front', if you know what I mean, ladies ;)

A marvellous machine and no-one would DARE to steal him because he is just so bl**dy heavy. Used to and from work and for numerous shopping trips.

Used him once to take a 40-pint poly-pin of home-mashed ale around to a friends for an 'evening-sesh'. A boxed polypin fits great and snug in the rack (minus basket) however if you get too much speed up and have to stop, its a bit un-nerving when the contents slop-around!! Must see if I can fit a 'baffle into a polypin next time. Despite 'slopping' the ale still remained crystal-clear and drinkable...so a goodly evening was had (if I remember correctly) :oops:

Attachments

• linford.jpg
    linford.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 4,349
I love butchers bikes especially the Pashley ones like you have there.

any idea why the rear mud guards get painted white on the lower section
(fashion or function)?
kind o' looks communist to me. lol.

;]

ekiborter":j71uk3rs said:
I love butchers bikes especially the Pashley ones like you have there.

any idea why the rear mud guards get painted white on the lower section
(fashion or function)?
kind o' looks communist to me. lol.

;]
During the Second World War (1939-45) there was a complete "Blackout" every night - We were under bombing from the Germans - Thus all cycles had a white patch on the rear mudguard for safety reasons. (In fact cars also had white patches on the mudguards )

Makes sense.

I guess thats what I was getting at with the 'communist' line of thought.

In some parts of Russia they still paint the bottoms of trees at the road side white to help you see them when driving your lada towards them.

;]

Here's my commuting and getting to meetings bike, not exactly retro but retro inspired

Attachments

• Pompino.JPG
    Pompino.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 4,218
Back