Stiffness of an Alan frame?

I have a large (58/9) Alan. Now, whether or not the spindly pipe cleaners that were (are) my legs couldn't generate enough power to flex a warm Wham bar is a point of debate. I was never any good at time trials or sprinting but I could climb. I found that the frame did flex but to me it was in a good way. In much the same way a fine titanium frame is said to be 'whippy' that is how riding the Alan fast uphill felt like.

The only time I would ever consider turning an Alan (or dare I say any) frame into a fixed or SS is if the gear hanger had fallen off. But unless you ride like Cavendish/Cipolini/Steels/Hoy I wouldn't worry too much.

I am about 185 and have some quads, so flex was an issue, but I really did enjoy the ride. Seated, it was smooth and springy.

It was only when I forgot what I was on and began to torque that I'd notice. The thing was light as hell too--uphills were a fun cruise. Mine was branded "Fanini" for the Italian racing team's track group, but the engraving and such as well as the seat tube sticker were Alan.

I sold it to lighten my load moving back from Tokyo, but it is still plying the streets there. I'd totally pick one up again given the chance.

[/i]

Lots of bike brands sold re-branded Alans and Vitus - including Colnago - when they were fashionable in the 80's.

My Vitus Duralinox 979 was sold originally as a Peugeot - the Peugeot professional team rode them for years, including the Carbon versions.

I like mine very much and have ridden - and raced on it - quite a bit in the past few weeks.

Back