MacRetro chat and rides thread

clockworkgazz":25shpwc2 said:
kaiser":25shpwc2 said:
velomaniac":25shpwc2 said:
Fat tubed bikes just look over built and over weight even if in fact they are really lightweight and hi tech like Dales. The GT fat tubed bikes look especially over done when other manufacturers can get the same performance with less lardy looks. Steel GT's are nice though as they have skinny tubes. Its just aesthetics nothing more ;)

BITD I hated steel tubed bikes, alu all the way. Steel looked to roady and mtb'in embraced new technology which was part of the appeal of the bikes the cannondales/manitou/san an/Klein etc. Now its almost inverse where the ride and looks of steel trump the fat ally most of the time.

other way round, loved steel hated Al, now can see the appeal of the coke can bikes but will always love a steel frame most (just as long as it does not have a u-brake!

"Aesthetics", a view I didn't think you held in any high regard velo? :twisted:

only kidding ;)

:LOL:

kaiser":drhnm68v said:
velomaniac":drhnm68v said:
Fat tubed bikes just look over built and over weight even if in fact they are really lightweight and hi tech like Dales. The GT fat tubed bikes look especially over done when other manufacturers can get the same performance with less lardy looks. Steel GT's are nice though as they have skinny tubes. Its just aesthetics nothing more ;)

BITD I hated steel tubed bikes, alu all the way. Steel looked to roady and mtb'in embraced new technology which was part of the appeal of the bikes the cannondales/manitou/san an/Klein etc. Now its almost inverse where the ride and looks of steel trump the fat ally most of the time.

Same here, wouldn't say i hated them though, just overlooked them probably with the exception of JMC's jellybean Salsa.

I was very much seduced by fat alloy tubes and full bounce BITD, had a Proflex, a Zaskar LE then a Trek 9500 and dreamed about LTS's, Manitou's and Kleins, all fat, mostly bouncy .

This site has changed my mind about steel though, lust after Breezers, Bontragers, YO's and Ritchey's now.

Having said that there's a nice 16" Zaskar LE frame on the bay at the moment
:LOL:

Kaiser, I presume you mean the Emmelle 400 all alloy bike with the Exage drivetrain :shock:

I've owned a mid 90's Emmelle missile Alloy mtb but did not know they did anything as exotic as that BITD. I thought the best they did was the Cortina which I quite fancy if a 21-23 inch framed bike comes along.

I did see a Reynolds 501 framed Townsend recently :shock:

There are some surprising machines from the most unlikely manufacturers out there :roll: :D

See you Sunday, and remember its £4 to get into the estate, £8 if you want into the house as well :LOL:

Dolomite is well cool but I'm holding out for a Cortina.

Funny how these Emmelles are named after classic 70's british cars or maybe there is no connection at all.................. :LOL:

Thanks Kaiser, good to see you looking out for my interests, however warped they are.

Keep an eye out for a Univega Y-Framed full sus, I think they might be called a Univega Flite DS. I fancy one, the pivot point is similarly placed to the Trek Y-Frames.

Cheers

Mr. Hendrix PM your address and I'll post that freehub body to you on Monday. Good chance I won't catch up with youse until after SSUK. Goddamn exams! :evil:

On the plus side the bits for the fixie path racer type affair are all coming together and hopefully it'll be done by the time I catch up with you all again. Everyone fancy a wee go round Pollock? ;)

awaycaboose":1bbuf55u said:
Mr. Hendrix PM your address and I'll post that freehub body to you on Monday. Good chance I won't catch up with youse until after SSUK. Goddamn exams! :evil:

On the plus side the bits for the fixie path racer type affair are all coming together and hopefully it'll be done by the time I catch up with you all again. Everyone fancy a wee go round Pollock? ;)

That's great man :cool: , should be ok for Pollock next weekend ;)

kaiser":21vzqepz said:
Sneaky pics of the SS, will almost certainly change the cockpit, too high and flat :? feel like I want to stand on the pedals all the time. Any ideas? Thinking something a bit longer and as said before with the sweepy bars. Need to tidy that magura hose too.

3492364942_eae8f18c9e_b.jpg

singlespeed set up

3492364968_f365a072cc_b.jpg

the crack :twisted:

3492364932_86e2bf9f9f.jpg

thats nice..............

glad it's not ended up in the skip ! kinda wish i got it sorted myself now :(

i've hurt my back at work last week , but if i'm better then i'm up for a wee blast , only bike i've got up and running is my clubroost dh one but on the plus side , it wheelies for fun lol.....

Hi Alex, we'll wait and see if the weld holds up :) there were alot of naysayers.

Had another wee fanny aboot with it, bit more oil in the forks has cured the lurchy front and rolled the bars forward abit and moved the seat forward too. Never noticed quite how much layback there was with the post, I think that coupled with the slightly jacked front slackened the seat angle just a bit too much.Has helped but a 100mm or so flat stem and swept bars are on the cards. Reckon I just need to shorten the hoses a tad too, ok for now but will order some olives next time I'm on CRC.

Hi Alex, we'll wait and see if the weld holds up :) there were alot of naysayers.

Had another wee fanny aboot with it, bit more oil in the forks has cured the lurchy front and rolled the bars forward abit and moved the seat forward too. Never noticed quite how much layback there was with the post, I think that coupled with the slightly jacked front slackened the seat angle just a bit too much.Has helped but a 100mm or so flat stem and swept bars are on the cards. Reckon I just need to shorten the hoses a tad too, ok for now but will order some olives next time I'm on CRC.

Back