1997 Kona Hei Hei 20'' New Pics 14/04/2008

letmetalktomark":286p8ooh said:
This is an early photo of my frame ( frame number confirmed ) with what I believe to be original decals

No those are poor reproduction items. The K on the downtube is a dead givaway.

letmetalktomark":2nqgthqe said:
I quite like the 98 graphic and think they will stay until she is painted at the end of summer. :shock:

In talks with Argos to have something like this done :cool: :cool:

Had spoken with one company about getting this paintwork being recreated but it was uber expensive :shock:

Painted? :shock:
[stands up, throws back chair, kicks over table, cowboy style]

Actually, I quite like the half-painted / half Ti look.
I wondered about getting white Schwinn/ Breezer spear-points on the front of mine & leaving the rest unpainted.

I like both the red and blue candy colours on the Aha.
It's just the R,W & B "Stars & Bars" combo I'm not too keen on.
Yeah, I can imagine it would cost a lot to reproduce.

Seriously though raw Ti is one of the attractions along with the weight...just seems odd to paint it and make it look like a steel frame

Interested to see the results though if you do go for it....keep us posted

Well its been a few weeks since the Hei Hei has been built up and since then I have ridden nothing else!

Really happy with the ride and the weight. I can really see why titanium can be so desirable as over the rough stuff the bike is smooth.

I've had a chance to change a few parts and apart from an XTR chainset to replace the Middleburn I think I'm about done....

Parts list:

Frame: 1997 Kona Hei Hei

Fork: Salsa Cromoto (425 mm AtoC)

Headset: Ritchey Logic WCS
Stem: Truvativ Team
Handlebar: Raceface XC
Grips: Funn Lockon

Brakes: XTR M950
Brake Pads: XTR M950
Brake Cables: Shimano
Brake Levers: XTR M950

Shifters: XTR M950
Front Derailleur: XTR M950
Rear Derailleur:XTR M950
Derailleur Cables: Kevalr re inforced
Cassette: XTR M950
Chain: Sram 870
Cranks: Middleburn RS7
Crank Bolts: Middleburn (soon to be M950 XTR)
Chainrings: Middleburn (soon to be M950 XTR)
Chainring bolts: Middleburn (soon to be M950 XTR)
Bottom Bracket: UN54 (soon to be M950 XTR)
Pedals: Shimano M520

Hub Skewers: AtoZ Ti
Rims: Mavic Crossrides
Hubs: Mavic Crossrides
Nipples: Mavic Crossrides
Spokes:Mavic Crossrides
Tyres: IRC Mibro 2.1 Kevlar
Tubes: ??

Saddle: Flite Ti
Seatpost: Control Tech
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Weight: Haven't had a chance to weigh her yet but the previous owner had the weight down to 22lbs with Pace suspension forks so I would like to think circa 21lb :?

Pics:

Photo0098.jpg

Photo0100.jpg

Photo0102.jpg

Looks lovely, nice clean lines

I think 21lb is around the right mark, weighed my XTR'd Hei Hei with Duke forks at 23.5 lbs, light enough for me without having to use dreaded carbon!

Indeed, a part of me wants some bars and a seatpost made of the stuff for looks but I know it's just not reliable, especially if your like me and have a habit of doing up controls very tight lol

That Hei Hei looks much cleaner than mine, I think the TT cable routing does it along with the rigid fork. Got my rear V in an outer all the way held on with some metal clips which isn't ideal but didn't want to clamp one of those big cable stops on the top tube.

I'll get some pics up when it's finished, need to put the XTR cables on and get a nice, slim Charge Knife saddle on there...looks like an old flite so should be good!

Latest posts

Back