Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

thats the one that was on ebay a couple of weeks ago? glad to see it went to an appreciative home, not just a parts stripper.

My first bike was a Saracen Traverse Elite, a '93 model I think, I cannot remember the actual year I bought it, though I do have the sale receipt around here somewhere.

It was dressed in a glorious metallic black powder coat and silver Shimano Deore XT, black and silver, with XT thumbies, lovely. The tubing if I remember correctly was 'True Temper AVR'' double butted cromoly steel. The front diagonal tube was oval longways where it joined the headset, and oval crossways where it met the bottom bracket, the crossbar also was oval, in fact I think there was only one round tube on it, that being the seat tube a pretty strong frame I thought. The decals and stuff never lasted long, only stickers, but not the tin foil ones of later machines

The wheels were Ritchey, with SS double butted spokes and when I lost it, it was fitted with Panaracer Smoke at the rear and Smoke Lite at the front, although it originally came with Tioga 2.1 folding tyres, which I punctured on my first outing, they were white walls and they rotted fast.

I say first bike, because it was my first and last, I lost it four years ago, when I left it in the safe keeping of my wife, who subsequently sold it, the reason being, it was in the way, yeah, right.

I know it is a very long shot, but if anyone comes across a Saracen and notices an acid etched purplish number above the front Derailleur mounting, the etch goes straight through to the frame, I would not mind getting that bike back,or at least the frame as it holds many sentimental memories. But maybe I should move on, if anyone has it, good luck to them, it is a beautiful ride. Oh, if it has the original wheels, the frame number is etched into the front wheel, EO....... something.

So, I am new to retro bike, it has to be retro, because I am again after an older Saracen, to regain my comfort after using this borrowed unresponsive and heavy Raleigh tank I have at my disposal. The raleigh is fairly current, the last five years, but it is orrible, it does not inspire confidence at all in anything I try to put it through, including road duties. My Saracen, was 26 pounds in weight, strong, light and fast.

I have some pics of it around here again somewhere, a pic of when it was new, and another of it up to it's eyeballs, I will try and hook them out and post them here.

Anyone interested in this Terratrax, thinking of swapping it for something bigger (its an 18") as although it rides great it feels a little cramped to me. Will consider anything really as long as its 19" or bigger but fancy a Marin or Kona. Will post spec if anyones interested. ;)

Attachments

• ABCD0015.JPG
    ABCD0015.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,366
I agree, a very nice bike, but Biopace knee wreckers ?

Thankfully, my Traverse Elite never had them, only deore XT.

A question though, given the age of these Early Saracens, what would I be able to get an early nineties Saracen for now, say another Traverse or a Tufftrax, either the basics or the Elites ?

A Saracen Owner's club sounds like a good idea, given the interest on this thread.

But I went there a few days ago, the site, and nothing seems to be happening, I wondered if it was dead.

I got that feeling as well but will keep popping back to see if anything happens I suppose if enough people visited it might just ressurect itself ?

silverclaws":20thr2qz said:
A Saracen Owner's club sounds like a good idea, given the interest on this thread.

But I went there a few days ago, the site, and nothing seems to be happening, I wondered if it was dead.

I feel that this thread may well have negated the reason for that forum....No Raws or Havocs on here!

Now then....Saracen of the Month? Surely it's time!

Latest posts

Back