Colnago Mexico – honest opinions needed

olzu":3lqc84gb said:
Does it make any sense to restore a non-original bike that is in good condition at all?...

This is Retrobike Olzu..

It's not about making any sense... It's doing it because you can do it, and because you want to do it.

For me, whether it's worth doing it or not depends on which bike it is....

This one is definitely worth doing a full restore on, assuming your wallet is up to the task.

Walter":33bhpbqo said:
For me, the Mexico was a preferred model and the Saronni paint is killer. I would go back there...

A photo of mine is attached.

That is a really short stem Walter? You must have really long legs for your height...

That is a really short stem Walter? You must have really long legs for your height...

You are correct in that it is a shortly...too short for me. It came with the bike. I am currently looking for a longer one and some wider bars of the correct era.

dbmtb":3pgi7xu2 said:
For me, whether it's worth doing it or not depends on which bike it is...

This one is definitely worth doing a full restore on, assuming your wallet is up to the task.

Now, when I got your answer I know what I should have been asked:
Is my bike itself worth full restoration if I can afford it?
So, thanks a lot, dbmtb, for your question and answer.
And I´m glad that you think my bike is worth restoring. Only problem is that I´m not sure about my wallet - the full restoration would cost hundreds of euros, I quess...

olzu":3lhstd6q said:
the full restoration would cost hundreds of euros, I quess...

Show us a photo from the other side Olzu.

If it's an 85 frame, I'm not sure it'll be as expensive as you think to get it put back to original spec.

As far as I can see you might want to consider change of saddle and shift levers, but that might be about all you need to change, apart from the paint and decals.

dbmtb":gds0k8av said:
olzu":gds0k8av said:
the full restoration would cost hundreds of euros, I quess...

Show us a photo from the other side Olzu.

If it's an 85 frame, I'm not sure it'll be as expensive as you think to get it put back to original spec.

As far as I can see you might want to consider change of saddle and shift levers, but that might be about all you need to change, apart from the paint and decals.

Since I posted the pic of my bike I realized I should have shown you the other side... :oops:

"22.jpg " is a pic I found on the net - I think my bike should look like it.

There are also some detail shots of main components of my bike attached. I quess only the rear derailleur is original. It looks like mid 1980´s Super Record to me. Could the brakes be original? What do you think about other components - they look newer. Do you agree?

I´m afraid that the list of components need to be replaced may be quite a long.

Why do you think it is cheaper to restore 1985 frame?

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 395
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 395
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 395
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 393
olzu":2lningb0 said:
ededwards":2lningb0 said:
Hoods for the brake levers also needed?

Yes, I quess so...

They'll probably cost as much as the rest of the project...................... :?

There's also an Option 5 - forget all about it and send it to me! ;)

Back