Oil on Disc Brakes Problem

With something as safety critical as brakes I'd just get new pads & clean the rotors with IPA (IsoPropyl Alcohol)

IMHO it's not worth faffing about trying to clean pads with X or Y, you never know that it will do to the pad material or the adhesive that holds the pad material to the backing plate.

Find a long downhill, ride down it dragging the brake all the way, when the brake pads reach their flash point the oil with burst into flames and burn away, leaving a lovely smoke trail behind you like the red arrows :cool:

HAPPY NEW YEAR first of all,

cheers Fella's

I will look into locating one of these products mentioned above, and see how it goes from there :D

as for the drag the Brakes down hill TILL I SMOKE THEM OUT............ that will be a tall order, as it is too cold for me to Leave the warm/plouted Roads at the moment.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: and need to ride safely, as it will get wet sooner or later.... OIL AND RAIN ON BRAKES WILL SURELY SEND ME 6-FEET UNDER .......

FAR TOO YOUNG TO Die and step a side for the price of PAD"s :roll: ➡️

mustamusta":cx3h6va4 said:
HAPPY NEW YEAR first of all,

cheers Fella's

I will look into locating one of these products mentioned above, and see how it goes from there :D

As several have said - if in doubt, just buy a new set of pads. They're just a disposable item anyway so for a few pounds spent it's easier than faffing around with them.

Have a happy and healthy New Year mate !

cheers for the priceless info and wise words passed down :LOL: much appreciated :D

I manged to get hold of Petrol lighter refill.....

is this the one for the job!!!!

if so, do I just wipe the disc's or dip in it!!!!

I think I will just get new sets of pads as it seems to be the wiser option. as majority suggest so :D

Just wipe the discs with it - put some of the lighter fuel on some kitchen roll or something.

Andy R":2oqv2jk7 said:
Just wipe the discs with it - put some of the lighter fuel on some kitchen roll or something.

ahaaa,

cheers for that Andy

that sounds great. as it saves me needing to locate the special key to take disc's off!!!! :LOL: :LOL:

I am asuming it will work without taking disc's off wheels!! :D

Andy R":1ytl8fmw said:
mustamusta":1ytl8fmw said:
I am asuming it will work without taking disc's off wheels!! :D

Yep! - no need to take the discs off :cool:

cheer's for that,

I tried a bit on the front without doing anything to the pads, it was much better.... I could stop atleast :LOL: :LOL:

I will get them done properly soon....

I WAS TOLD EARLIER THAT I CAN ACTUALLY BOIL THE PADS FOR SOMETIME ON HOT WATER.... AND THAT WILL GET THE OIL OFF THEM....... aparently......

Can anyone agree or approve!!!! :cool:

Back