Mountain Mayhem 2009- Mr K's Recruitment Programme

More

Potential conscripts - you need to plead your case on this thread - we need to know what characteristics, experience and attitude you will bring to the team... what bike(s) you might be building/riding... what your failings might be etc.

In short, flesh it out... sing for your supper etc.

Captain K

PS. Photos and diagrams always help...

Ok here goes..........

Characteristics - fairly fit with a bit of excess cushioning. Age may be on my side compared to others -27 years of age.

I competed in the 3 tens series last year, 10 hr race at Fort Bill, Kirroughtree & Moray. This was in a team of two. Bloody hard work but really good fun ;-)

I kinda frequent Chicksands (most weeks in the summer) with Reki, Jango & Neill but have not been in a while.
House restorations have got in the way!

I head up to Scotland a fair bit due to mates living just over the border & misses' relatives also so I get to go to Glentress circa 6 times a year

I have been commuting home from work 23 miles everyday on my Roadbike (singlespeed) for the past 8 months! Love it bar the frigging owl that wants to mate with my front light most evenings of late!

Now the bikes: which could be my Downfall...

Konas!

I will bring my 94' Explosif resprayed white with Jo Burtesque flowers & my 93' Hei Hei

In general I dont take life tooo seriously & I'll be up for a few beers. Whilst on track I'll do my best for sure no question :)

pics to follow once I'm on the home pc

Martin

Re: Exemplary

mrkawasaki":3osl58y9 said:
Now that's more like it - shame you hang around with Jango though... ;)

Captain K

Laughed out lound, much to the confusion of my colleagues! :LOL:

Sing for my supper :shock: , well here goes with the good stuff.

I’m back in the sport of mtbing after many years away. I was a very keen mountain bike racer back in the early 90’s racing in many north west mountain bike series as a young teenager. I had several top 5 finishes in these series. Here is a picture of me racing at Leisure Lakes back in 1992/3 aboard my 1992 alpinestars cro-mega LX.

scan0001-1.jpg

I left the mtbing in 1995 to concentrate on twinshock motocross. I’d ridden schoolboy motocross prior to getting into mtbing but was forced to retire as my father was struggling in the recession of that time, but when the low cost sport of twinshock mx came about we both jumped at the opportunity to race motocross again. I continued to race until2006 but after a run of nasty injuries and financial instability from leaving the armed forces, I quit the sport. I also rode in the army enduro championships whilst serving in the Royal Signals. Here’s a picture of me aboard my 1979 Honda CR 250 in the Twinshock Grand Prix at Hawkstone Park 2005.

Picture183.jpg

I’m now trying hard to regain my fitness after my change of career and loss of motocross. This is how I eventually got back here at ‘retro bike’, recapturing my younger days by hitting the Lancashire moors on my mountain bike. Eventually selling off my modern Rock Lobster to make an alpinestars ‘hot-rod’. I’m sure my fitness levels did not impress at the peaks where I debuted the bike, but fear not, that was the first time I’d ridden in 4 months due to selling off my bike to fund it. I now ride several times a week and occasionally take part in local rides with the likes of Leisure Lakes, keeping up without any problems. I’m investing in a turbo trainer for Christmas and trying to take part in as many retro rides as possible to improve my fitness.

2008_1207alpinestars0007.jpg

I have a 2 bike rule imposed on me at home. I have my alpinestars ‘hot rod’ as mentioned above, which I believe to be retro and also Adrian Timmis’s Raleigh Dyna-Tech from 1993, which is fully retro and due to be finished in the next few days. I’m hoping to get Adrian himself signed up on the Raleigh, so that might leave me with alpinestars but who know what will come up in the next 6 months. I am also a MM virgin.

2008_1030teamraleigh0016.jpg

So now for the bad stuff.

Firstly, I work shifts in power stations so may not always be available to train. Work comes first in these difficult times, but given enough notice and pending my colleagues holiday plans 95% of the time I should be fine to join in.

Secondly, my alpinestars is a 1992 frame converted to accept all modern components. Some might disagree with my opinion on it’s retro heritage. However, if Adrian Timmis is unavailable I’ll be riding his old works bike!

Finally, my weakness is fitness. Although I’m working extremely hard at it and lost a good deal of weight, I’m still not at ‘race pace’. I’m planning to ride all winter long though, so should hit the summer with some speed.

Awww c'mon how can I compete with stories like those previous.

I'm 39, not overly fit, have ME which means I get seriously knackered post excercise, ultra lightweight drinker and have raced in 2 SSUK races and failed to complete both. In short why would you let me take part, are you mad :shock: :shock:

However i'm enthusiastic, vaguely competent on the bike, used to riding Glentress's Red route in its entirety on a Rigid bike quite often and reasonable at charging uphill off road.

Chosen steed will either be Raleigh White Lightning in lurid colour scheme or XL sized Specialized Hardrock from similar period to Raleigh also lurid. Spec will be 21 speed, possibly suntour in the main with Rad Red Specialized tyres :D

Finally i'm prepared to come all the way from MacRetro land which is a very long way :D

Cheers

Back