'Tis the season for hearty soups

My sister makes an incredible potato and ham in a lentil based puree
Large wholesome pieces of potato and chunks of smoked gammon

My favourite is actually a Dutch Ertwensoep ( not sure if my spelling is right), but from memory it's lentil, potato and lots of smoked sausage and bacon.

It's real stick to your ribs stuff - best made fresh and gets better with keeping a few days and I've even been known to bring tins of the stuff back from the Netherlands!

Onion soup. Love it :LOL:
I know its not a meal. But with croutons and cheese on top. Mmmmmm, there's nothing better.

this is a good thread :D seriously though, especially now alot of us have a bit less money, things like making your own soup is extremely economical. me and my g/f can get 4 meals from a normal size chook by doing a roast on a sunday, bit of a curry or stew on monday and then boil up them old bones and stuff for stock to make a batch of soup which will then do for another 2 meals with a bit of bread and cheese :D :D :D :cool: it's all good :D

What would be in 'retrobike' soup?,apart from stringy bits of mutton and a stock made from old bones :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

dirtjumper_dmr":23sj0i42 said:
this is a good thread :D seriously though, especially now alot of us have a bit less money, things like making your own soup is extremely economical. me and my g/f can get 4 meals from a normal size chook by doing a roast on a sunday, bit of a curry or stew on monday and then boil up them old bones and stuff for stock to make a batch of soup which will then do for another 2 meals with a bit of bread and cheese :D :D :D :cool: it's all good :D

True (although don't eat meat)....amazing how much you can not spend when things get tough. We are making most stuff homemade now...even stuff like peanut butter which works out way less than half price.
Made a huge jar of Tapenade last week that lasted for days...great on pasta or crostini * snacky things.

HB

*Glad I checked the spelling on that one...crustini had an all different meaning in urban parlance :LOL:

French Onion Soup topped with bread and Gruyer cheese then baked is the King of soups. Apple and parsnip with plenty of black pepper is a close second. mmmmmmm sudenly feel very peckish!

Dr S":3uc15q58 said:
French Onion Soup topped with bread and Gruyer cheese then baked is the King of soups.

Just had that for lunch. And very good it was too :D

Whether the wife thinks so later is open to debate..... :oops: :? :LOL:

Latest posts

Back