Suspension forks for rim brake wheels?

staytong

Dirt Disciple
Can anyone tell me some of the best performing (and perhaps later models) of compression forks that they like, that were set up for rim brakes? I’m looking at many on EBay, but reading reviews of them has only led to more uncertainty.
Cheers

Modern reviews for suspension forks that have studs for cantilever/V brakes / Magura’s etc and 26’ rims will be damming just like a modern review of a Ford MK1 RS or Mexico I.e focus on all their short comings or limits of technology.... but do you actually need 120+mm of travel with lock outs to have an enjoyable ride?

Marzocchi Z1 and 2’s work well but are boat anchor heavy, and Judy’s / Pace with elastomers will be laughter at. But clean them up and service them and I’ve not had a problem although all the servicing in the world won’t make Z1 any lighter

Rockshoxs Sid’s are a nice fork

What ever you buy s/h harking back to 2005 and earlier will need work - but more importantly what do you have in mind as there’s an over flow of knowledge in this place to help you out no matter what brand you chose

I found the Manitou Mars about as good as it gets for rim brakes. They are light too at something like 1.5-1.6kg for the standard models and 1.3-1.4kg for the ones with a carbon brace (Mars "C" and "CL")

I think Rockshox are still making TK30s with studs. I think they're available with spring or air too...
I had the same issue with a build last year and ended up with some Recon Race from Gumtree and they're very nice- especially compared with the Quadra 21Rs of my youth!?!

Re:

I've had the same challenge.

I ended up buying new disc forks and v lowers and swapping them out, as this allowed me to get the best fork I could for a v brake build. Also had to adjust travel while I was at it.

I did this for a set of fox factory rlc fit forks which I still have and have done less than 10 miles on.

Another route I have taken is to buy all the parts needed to build the fork I wanted (in this case a rock shox sid world cup, with v lowers).

Last but not least and similar to the fox option, but using used, not new forks and lowers was a set of reba world cups. Originally disc only lowers but I swapped out to v versions. Serviced the internals, new oil, o-rings etc. Ended up with a very nice fork, though have sold the build after literally no miles (was a project to build a top spec bike from my spares bin for fun).

I did also recently buy a set of pace rc39 with v mounts. I ideally wanted rc41s but apparently they never did these with v mounts.

Re:

The best performing rim brake suspension forks will most likely be the most recent ones, the Rockshox Recon already mentioned are pretty good if you can find some with brake posts.
I assume you just want somf for xc/trail use?

If you want a bit more retro then maybe Marzocchi or Pace forks from around 2000; Marzocchi kept producing forks with brake posts for quite some time (and 1" steered options too).
The Pace RC36 or RC38 Airforce work well, as do any of the Marzocchi air forks around that time.
That's what I'd be looking at anyway.

Re:

Best will be the Marzocchi/RockShox/Fox top end forks of the mid 2000's
Take your pick.
But look at the ability to service them.

But they're modern things and you're in a retro area, we've only just have V-brakes in here and the Marzocchi Bomber had just been born along with the Rockshox SID.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":3iegqpyg said:
But they're modern things and you're in a retro area, we've only just have V-brakes in here and the Marzocchi Bomber had just been born along with the Rockshox SID.

Objection, Your Honor!

Bombers had been born in 1996 and in 1997 they became a legend ... and we have also hydraulic brakes and lots of early disc brake types in the 90's also!
There are parts which are non-breakable, like the Maguras HS33 and others. Not al of the pseudo modern sh## is better.

Back