Frame stripping/painting DIY

Tom79

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I want to strip back one of my frames (Orange P7) and re-paint it, as something to do in these lockdown times! Will be doing it all at home, no experience with doing it but the frame is just sat there and is a good one to practice on if nothing else!

Do you have any advice or any resources on here that can help? Remember DIY is definitely the answer, and maybe I should video if if you all need a laugh ;-)

I painted my team marin in my garage over the winter It was my first effort at painting. I did a fair bit of reading up and watching youtube video's before starting.
Take your time and dont rush it. Paint in one sweep not back and forwards.
I put a little fan heater in there and out the frame near to the heater for half a hour before I painted it and heated the garage beforehand and left each coat for a day or so before flatting with really fine wet and dry and giving it another coat (3 in total) then lacquered.
I also used Montana Gold paint and lacquer which was very easy to use and there are a load of colour options.

https://www.graff-city.com/spray-cans-c ... -paint-p64

Give it a try its quite satisfying if it comes out ok.

Re:

I did this: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=403447

Advice: there's a lot online already. I would only add that it will probably take longer than you think and the fiddly little cable guides, etc. are a pain. And, when you're near the end, don't accidentally whack your frame with a hammer like I did. :facepalm: Having said that, I was pleased with the finished result.

Re:

Did one recently... strip, sand, prime, sand, prime, base coat color, dry, then other colors, clear....

Just use layers that are compatible paint chemicals or it will do weird things and you’ll have to go back steps

Re:

Probably more cost effective getting it powder coated ... but wheres the fun and job satisfaction in that?

my last couple of projects i purposely looked for frames needing a repaint.

Re: Re:

Awesome thanks! Good to see and will have a proper read and re-read! It’s a frame that’s just sat there and it’s a bit small for me so good to just give it a go. Nice one

CassidyAce":1l8gtrvh said:
I did this: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=403447

Advice: there's a lot online already. I would only add that it will probably take longer than you think and the fiddly little cable guides, etc. are a pain. And, when you're near the end, don't accidentally whack your frame with a hammer like I did. :facepalm: Having said that, I was pleased with the finished result.

I worked for Gibson guitars for a few years in the refinishing department, which was very demanding work. I've done a few of my frames, it's a lot of concentrated effort, but paint technology improves all the time which helps.
I've found Plastikote or similar enamel is a good choice. No need for a clear lacquer coat. Needs a long curing time, even in a hot dry environment, but I painted a '93 GT in lawn green about 7 years ago, and paint is still looking very good.
If your frame doesn't have a lot of rust, you may get away with a light rub down, but you must kill any grease. If you sand back to bare metal, you'll need a good primer. The quality of your respray depends on how much preparation you do, and perhaps you'd benefit from doing a few little practice pieces, old stems or forks for instance. I wouldn't jump in on your P7 and hope for the best, not my style, but it's all useful experience..

You can paint a frame anyway you like back and forth, directional etc it doesn't matter the key is preparation preparation preparation a good clean smooth surface to start with and you can get exceptional finishes. But remember safety first make sure the area you spray in is well ventilated and if you have one use a mask if not make one lots of info online about that at present too.

Re:

All good advice, and this sums it up really well.

kingbling":2yumsnnb said:
You can paint a frame anyway you like back and forth, directional etc it doesn't matter the key is preparation preparation preparation a good clean smooth surface to start with and you can get exceptional finishes. But remember safety first make sure the area you spray in is well ventilated and if you have one use a mask if not make one lots of info online about that at present too.

Preparation is definitely the key. Don't rush to get your finish colour on, it will only look rubbish if the primer isn't a smooth, clean (and degreased as Steve mentions....) surface.

Don't forget to put a bolt in your rear mech hanger (if it's not replaceable) and cover over your bottom bracket threads. I use 2 milk carton caps with a slot cut in them to squeeze into the bottom bracket shell.
You'll save yourself loads of headache later on when you come to refit.

Personally, I don't rush the Lacquer coat either. I allow the colour to harden for a least a week before clear coat. I then gently scuff the painted finish with fine scotchbrite to give a key for the lacquer to adhere to. Then leave it well alone for at least a couple of weeks to harden before attempting a bike build.
With time and patience you can get a great result..... My Marin Pine Mountain (in my signature) was a home paint...... That went on to win a BOTM.
More recently, my Dynatech is also a home paint. There's some pics of the processes in both threads.

Good luck.

boy"O"boy

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    873.2 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 242