Manitou 1 Rebuild

Sunday Surgery

Finally found a way to get to the long Allen key bolts and, after an overnight soaking in WD40, they came out okay.

The elastomers seem to be in very good order, there was heaps of dried California dust to be removed but, on the whole, the stanchions were okay.

However, after cleaning and greasing, I put the skewers back together and tightened the retention screws back into the base. They did not go tight - by that I mean they kept on turning and turning. I don't believe I used too much force, as I never really found any resistance. Does this mean I have threaded both sides and knackered my fork?

Another oddity is that I can now pull the legs up (but not out) - getting 1cms of slack at the top of the stroke (ie. above its natural resting position). I hadn't noticed this effect before I took it apart and cannot believe it is normal - any thoughts?

Lastly, my elastomer kebab mix differs from the diagrams above: I have a bump stop inside the upper stanchions; on the outside I have a black, small and hard top bumper; three longer red elastomers all with aluminium wshers. Is this a versioned like a 2 or 3 set up?

Neil

the black one inside is the rebound elastomer , that needs to stay

i had the same happen to mine , they probably got stuck at some point

you will need to add more elastomer

when you tighten up the bolts , the adjusters on the bottom of the legs turn as well , if you hold them as you tighten they will stop turning .

if you take them back out and remove the adjusters then tighten the bolts into the adjusters ( minus legs ) the bolt will " bottom out " against the adjuster and turn the silver part of the adjuster seeming as if it has an endless thread or has stripped , in fact there is a small wire clip that stops it unthreading itself from the adjuster cap

so when you are tightening the bolts you are unwinding the preload on the elastomers

PHEW !! hope that makes sense , so no they are okay

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
M1 Pic

Red elastomers in different format to the above pix/drawings - why? Older? Newer? Wrong? Right?

Neil

Attachments

• M1.JPG
    M1.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 7,448
Re: News travels fast!

mrkawasaki":197urfg4 said:
I think you'll find me down as the first to bid... ;)

Hahaha Ebay is like a Who's Who of Retrobike!

I see you have your eye on those purple Hyperlites too.. :twisted:

same as mine , take the elastomers off and place them side by side and you will probarbly see a difference in them

if not they may be " bulged " towards the middle

either way , new ones willl be needed

they do tend to shrink , through constant compression and age

not a problem though , still got some white ones :D

mega thread revival..... does anyone know if you can get full rebuild kits for these anymore, if not i have a cool paper weight and need some new forks

Re:

For a good working and damping, I used some Pace elastomers with Pace RC7 grease. Some friends who only swear on hydraulic were bluffed !

Back