Not so rare 1990 lugged Singletrack

singletrackmac

Dirt Disciple
Just picked this 1990 Trek Singletrack 930. :cool: It is in great condition with original tires! Had to get a new stem and handlebar as the originals were replaced with some garbage high rise stem and bars :facepalm: Pretty sure the seat is not original either, but still some whiskers on the Trek house brand matrix tires!

Did a quick safety check and will take her out for the first spin tomorrow morning before cleaning, tuning and removing the front reflector. I am curious to see how she rides compared to my 1991 Trek 970. 1991 was the year trek went to the thin walled OD tubing (oversized diameter TT OXII tubing) while the '90 930 is standard diameter TT tubing. Not sure if I will be able to tell the difference, we will see. I will repost with my findings.

These bikes might not be very rare, but they sure do look sweet (especially the "Trek" stamped lugged ones), the frames ooze quality being made at Trek's US Waterloo factory with True Temper steel, they have the toughest, bullet proof paint jobs and most importantly, ride so nice with their aggressive geometry and super responsive and lively frames. I can't wait to get her out on some old school nor-cal single track tomorrow :D

-USA Made True Temper AT 4130 Double Butted Lugged Frame
-Tange Unicrown Fork
-Blacked-Out, Full Suntour X-1 group-set
-USA Made Matrix Single Track heat treated rims 25mm
-USA Made Matrix Single Track AT tires 26x1.95"

Attachments

• Trek 930 matrix tires.JPG
    Trek 930 matrix tires.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 1,937
  • Trek 930 matrix rims.JPG
    Trek 930 matrix rims.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 1,930
  • Trek 930 Suntour X-1.JPG
    Trek 930 Suntour X-1.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 1,930
  • Trek 930 Cr-Mo fork.JPG
    Trek 930 Cr-Mo fork.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 1,932
  • Trek 930 lugs.JPG
    Trek 930 lugs.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 1,934
  • Trek 930 TT sticker.JPG
    Trek 930 TT sticker.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,936
  • Trek 930 Single track decal.JPG
    Trek 930 Single track decal.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 1,939
  • Trek 930.JPG
    Trek 930.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 1,938
The X-1 is interesting. I originally thought it was just a simple push-push and was quite confused the first time I went to shift. The front mech is more like a friction shifter, at least I did not notice any indexing. I have only taken the bike out on 2 rides so far and it does work quite well. The rear mech did skip around a few times so far trying to index. This only happened when trying to up-shift quickly. Down shifting quickly I have not had a problem yet.

To be fair I am sure the cables are original, so over 25 years old, and the bike is really dirty. Especially the drivetrain. I am hoping a good cleaning should help things out a lot.

Other than those shifting issues the bike is solid and that is coming from a 240lb clyde. Took it out on my local single track the last 2 days and with the aggressive geo and responsive true temper, the bike jams. Also, I forgot how well those old matrix tires grip, especially in the chunk. The matrix 25mm rims are very solid as well. I was having so much fun going thru the rock garden I went down it a few times and took some action shots of the wheels and tires. You can see the tire knobs gripping rocks like fingers.

Attachments

• Trek 930 matrix tires 3.PNG
    Trek 930 matrix tires 3.PNG
    134.7 KB · Views: 1,745
  • Trek 930  matrix tires 2.PNG
    Trek 930 matrix tires 2.PNG
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,745
  • Trek 930 Matrix tires.PNG
    Trek 930 Matrix tires.PNG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,745
Back