The Somme

Have done the WW1 tour.

Its awkward. Standing at the rim of that huge crater, looking at the chalk in the fields still showing where shells fell, kicking bits of metal about and finding out it was ordnance ploughed up by the farmers.

Re:

Also been on a tour of the WW1 battlefields, Theipval where the BBC has been today is both impressive and depressing, not just UK soldiers but Canadians too (amongst many others from all over the British empire at the time), they have a small area of preserved trenches too, and the landscape is still shaped by the craters from artillery and mines where they tunnelled under enemy lines and planted huge amounts of explosives.
Many years ago I went to my great uncles grave in France, he was part of a Cavalry regiment, men on horseback vs machine guns.... madness.

Things have changed in the last 100 Years, but then not that much had really changed at all eh?.

Re:

I first learnt about the explosives planted under enemy positions today. Extraordinary!

Also heard a letter read out, about a man who saw his best friend of 20 years, killed before him. One of so many disturbing and gut wrenching stories.
Apparently 72,000 still un-named men there. So sad, it's difficult to even comprehend

Mike

I've done a WW1 tour on my birthday a couple of years back - went to Ypres and a few sites. Very moving and kind of scary countries can so easily start a war.

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":twdb45n7 said:
The most tragic thing is that wars still go on even today.

As a race, we have learnt nothing from the past.
Most of us share that sentiment - some even shout ''not in My name!'' But who's name is it in then, in a democratic system we so intrinsically embrace?

As long as we wallow almost exlusively in our own issues and notions of inequity, we'll not care about the bigger picture - or foreign policy.

'The Powers That Be' - are us!

ferrus":dlk0gf2b said:
Mike Muz 67":dlk0gf2b said:
The most tragic thing is that wars still go on even today.

As a race, we have learnt nothing from the past.
Most of us share that sentiment - some even shout ''not in My name!'' But who's name is it in then, in a democratic system we so intrinsically embrace?

As long as we wallow almost exlusively in our own issues and notions of inequity, we'll not care about the bigger picture - or foreign policy.

'The Powers That Be' - are us!

That is why all governments have to be transparent and fully accountable to their electorate. The EU isn't. Maybe it will in time. I would like to see all major decisions eg going to war, voted on by the people online. It would be quick to set up and ID verification systems have improved a lot. I just think we could reduce World conflict by a massive amount if this happened. Spend the money saved on regeneration and building trading networks with developing countries, so there is less economic disparity.

There are more than enough resources on the planet to give everybody a decent quality of life.

Re:

My grandmother lost both her brothers on the Somme.

William was a Corporal and was killed leading a patrol in January 1916 and Walter, his older brother was killed at the end of the battle itself, in September 1916.

There are many sadnesses connected with their deaths, first that two sons from the same family both perished in the trenches, which was by no means unique, another that they are buried only a few km apart, Walter in Pozieres and William in Meaulte and last that neither are buried under their family name. This is because they were from a German family which meant under their actual name they could have served in the engineers, building and repairing, but would not have been allowed a weapon and to fight, so William shortened his family name to Wucher and Walter invented the surname Walker.

I can only imagine the effect on my great grandparents of losing both their sons, on the same battlefield, in the same year, in the same war.

My grandmother was about 16 or 17 when her brothers were killed. She died at the age of 97 and mentioned them often, still missing them both.

NeilM":2rhl3c1p said:
My grandmother lost both her brothers on the Somme.

William was a Corporal and was killed leading a patrol in January 1916 and Walter, his older brother was killed at the end of the battle itself, in September 1916.

There are many sadnesses connected with their deaths, first that two sons from the same family both perished in the trenches, which was by no means unique, another that they are buried only a few km apart, Walter in Pozieres and William in Meaulte and last that neither are buried under their family name. This is because they were from a German family which meant under their actual name they could have served in the engineers, building and repairing, but would not have been allowed a weapon and to fight, so William shortened his family name to Wucher and Walter invented the surname Walker.

I can only imagine the effect on my great grandparents of losing both their sons, on the same battlefield, in the same year, in the same war.

My grandmother was about 16 or 17 when her brothers were killed. She died at the age of 97 and mentioned them often, still missing them both.

The last bit choked me up, reminded me of my Gran who died at 96 and also still talked of her two lost brothers right until the end. RIP to all these good people.

I was lucky enough to go to the memorial service at Thiepval on the 1st of July. It was a very sobering experience, especially after going to Oradour-Sur-Glane earlier in the week.

Back