Maybe not a Dawes Olympic, Updated.

Re: Dawes Olympic for Bravo Scozia

I've looked at velobase so much I know it off by heart. I had a "want that one" moment when I saw it and just had to snaffle it up before anyone else. I figured that it was a good bet for £70.00

It's got a lot of good continental parts so I won't be out of pocket whatever. I'm just worried that it may be too good for what I had in mind for it and maybe the search goes on. :roll:, but if it is a W.F. Holdsworth then I'll be very happy as I've always wanted a London bike :cool:

Re: Dawes Olympic for Bravo Scozia

colnagolover":1z9e3zec said:
Take a close look too at the "European" in the Claud Butler '59 catalogue -

just another road to go down -

could end up the bike is cross-pollinated!!

"In July 1956 president Nasser nationalised the Suez canal, hitting fuel supplies to UK and British industry. Claud Butler, already in financial straits, succumbed in Oct 1956. Petrol rationing was introduced in Jan 1957 and by the time it was lifted, 14 May 1957, much of British industry, including Holdsworth, was (and remained) on a 4 day week. Adam Hill's deal to buy the Claud Butler and Saxon marques fell through. In July 1958 the Holdsworth Co Ltd, Lullington Rd, Anerly, London SE20 bought three registered Claud Butler trade marks.(Colin Matthews):
No. 654268 'CB and link design Headbadge'
No. 579689 'CB monogram and device'
No. 612055 'Claud Butler signature'
This was a very good move. The Claud Butler brand was highly respected, sales increased dramatically. The factory now on a full working week struggled to keep pace with demand. Initially, a Holdsworth model and its CB equivalent were virtually identical."

From http://www.nkilgariff.com history of Holdsworth Bikes

I guess this goes some way to explaining the confusion on the part of seller and buyer :roll: But I still don't know where Dawes comes into the picture. :?

The seller is in Oxford but the bike is in Maidenhead, so maybe the seller couldnt quite remember the brand and took a guess :)

I went with it, as you can all see, I don't know one end of a British bike from the other :roll: :oops:

Re: Maybe not a Dawes Olympic for Bravo Scozia.

A brief update.
I spoke to the sellers grandpa, apparently the seller is 13 and is tasked with selling grandpas late brothers bike to earn some pocket money. ( Sad story there, for a later date)

Facts gleaned so far are; It's been in the shed for a long time covered in vaseline and it was bought new just after the war, which explains the transfer instead of head badge. Holdsworth, according to Classic Lightweights, sent some frames out during the immediate post war years with a transfer instead of a badge on the head tube as a result of acute materials shortages.

I still can't find a war time catalogue for Holdsworth, but, going by the catalogues I've seen they did an Olympic in 1938 but not in 1939. ( big gap in the online archive during the war years)

But its got a braze on rear hanger and 50's parts. :? :?

The original owners brother maintains it has Dawes written on it somewhere and the paintwork is original.

Wednesday should bring even more confusion, a new addition to the herd and a set of new tyres and tubes for the thing, plus a tool along the "quiet" country lanes of the home counties with a big grin, providing the pedals go around.

Any ideas on what size wheels it should have 26" or 27" ?

Grandpas' tennis partner used to work at Claud Butlers in the late 40's, should be good for a story.

The bike appears to me to be early to mid 1950's. Campagnolo ends were very rare on uk built bikes until about 1955. The Dawes bikes we saw then were low end schoolboy bikes, which got quite fashionable.
GS gears and QR wheels really took off in 1955.
The wheels would be 27 inch.
Keith

Thanks Kieth, I guess I've got to play the waiting game now, but the consensus seems to be that it's not a Dawes but possibly a W.F.Holdsworth Olympic from the 50's.

I wonder if its been made especially for him ?

So 27" wheels, any suggestions on brands of tyres ? All my bikes are tubs.

It looks really nice and I might have to put a bit more in the young lads pocket :)

Update.
Got the Holdsworth :D Plenty of Constrictor, Campag, Williams, CLB Alp Highlife etc......Photo's to come.

Thanks for the help chaps.

For tyres, Panaracer Pasela are a reasonable tyre in 27". SJS certainly carry them.

Latest posts

Back