3G internet dongle

I've used a Three PAYG dongly thing because when I first moved here there was no fibre optic broadband. It's probably more expensive than normal broadband but I've kept it because it works with Linux, while British Telecom expect you to use Apple or Microsoft. Reception is better for internet than it is for mobile phone and isn't affected by the weather, unlike FM radio. I've never been able to get it to pick up those free WiFi arrangements that you get in Cafe's or trains though.

Your dongle is using the 3 mobilephone network so it is just as susceptible to the same problems that mobiles suffer from.

For your laptop to receive 'free' wifi, you need to make sure that it actually has a wifi card in it and that its switched on. It doesnt matter what operating system you use, as long as there are drivers available there is usually very few hardware problems (dongles/ cards etc).

Something like that anyway.

3 is actually quite good at being an alternative to broadband where I live as its triple what BT can send down my copper wire. O2, Vodaphone and Orange (pre EE) can barely raise a signal. My 02 works phone is simply useless at being a phone and can only just send and receive emails until I get into more populated areas.

iscervo":1wc1lcl3 said:
If you need a landline go with Vonage for about £5.99 a month with all landline calls included, its a rolling monthly contract & you do not pay line rental to anyone, caller id, email notifications of messages received (read message or listen to it), anonymous call block are also included in the monthly charge.
I'm confused. And I looked at their site and I'm still confused.

I pay BT line rental, broadband and another 5er or so for unlimited calls. Vonage is £6 for unlimted calls but I need broadband? For which I need a phone line? So I pay BT line rental and broadband and pay Vonage £6 for calls how much am I saving?

I'm sure my BT contract is up soon and I know I'm paying them too much so Vonage looks good but I'm clearly missing something...

technodup":10ua1gnu said:
iscervo":10ua1gnu said:
If you need a landline go with Vonage for about £5.99 a month with all landline calls included, its a rolling monthly contract & you do not pay line rental to anyone, caller id, email notifications of messages received (read message or listen to it), anonymous call block are also included in the monthly charge.
I'm confused. And I looked at their site and I'm still confused.

I pay BT line rental, broadband and another 5er or so for unlimited calls. Vonage is £6 for unlimted calls but I need broadband? For which I need a phone line? So I pay BT line rental and broadband and pay Vonage £6 for calls how much am I saving?

I'm sure my BT contract is up soon and I know I'm paying them too much so Vonage looks good but I'm clearly missing something...

You didn't take in the Virgin cable options at the start of my reply.

Anyway its all really simple.

In the UK if you have a landline you pay line rental @ approx £14 a month & theres no way out of it, unless
you have Virgin cable, now can have a landline & not pay line rental because Vonage is VOIP & with Virgin you don't pay line rental for broadband.

This is how it works

1, open a Vonage account & they send you a box
2, plug the box into your router/modem
3, plug your house phone into the box, start phoning who you want for as long as you want

Now if you want to go on holiday or somewhere you shouldn't really be :oops: , you can take the Vonage box with you & receive/make calls as if you where at home.

Back