Do you wear pads?

John":14yymxhr said:
2. I'm agreeing it's a good idea if you really are on the edge. However when I see some tubby biffer on his £6K carbon bling machine wheezing his way round follow the dog at cannock then I'd question the need for pads and contend it's more a 'fashion' thing.
TBH, many of the tubby biffers you mention usually are on the edge as soon as they throw a leg over their gnarcore to the max awzum DH rig.

It's not like they start off MTBing by pushing *their* limits. They usually want to push Danny Harts limits first, then learn how to brake, or steer, properly later on.......
;)

John":n6uu4765 said:
You miss key points

1. You cannot compare a head injury to cuts and scratches on an arm or leg.
2. I'm agreeing it's a good idea if you really are on the edge. However when I see some tubby biffer on his £6K carbon bling machine wheezing his way round follow the dog at cannock then I'd question the need for pads and contend it's more a 'fashion' thing.

In my defence, I did say that the idea of wearing pads was an extension to the idea of wearing a helmet (ie. protection in the event of a fall). I didn't say that it was the same thing so I'm not comparing head injuries and limb injuries as one and the same.

Also, pads have got a LOT easier and more comfortable to wear over the past few years so there's less of a reason not to wear them when out riding.

But yes, as you mention, there will always be those who wear them purely as a fashion statement. They usually buy them at the same time as they buy their 29er ;)

I don't wear pads but always have my helmet with me. Pads are for Walter the Softy unless you're doing proper DH. In that case they're for mentalists!!

I wear kneepads as I value the ability to walk, as I'd rather wear them knowing that if I do come off, the majority of the time I should be able to walk away, not that I've had any major crashes in the past, but they are there to protect my knees if I do. But the same thing can be said for gloves, how many people do you know who don't ride without them.

Kind Regards

Liam

John":17o545uu said:
2. However when I see some tubby biffer on his £6K carbon bling machine wheezing his way round.

You are getting more bitter by the day jv,and i dont think daj,s cervelo cost 6k

John":1ytzhohe said:
It looks sick to the max, that's for sure. Can see if you're really pushing it then it might be worthwhile, lots you see with pads aren't pushing much at all apart from the number of cakes they can eat in the cafe. And up the hills.

Reminds me of a quote from back in the day, a DH rider was asked something along the lines of
"why are you not wearing pads"
"because I'm not going to crash"

Seem to recall it being JMC or Myles 'Cheech' Rockwell.

I think that was a Missy line

dyna-ti":35ami8jx said:
I dont like skinned knees and elbows.
Padz rulz
This.

I have come off the past two times I have been to Cannock :roll: and my elbow pads have definitely saved my elbows from serious grazing :)

I'll sometimes wear knee pads...I wore them on an uplift day the other week and u wear them when I'm in the local woods riding the sketchy jumps / DH runs but done bother for day to day riding because they annoy me and boil my knees in the summer.

I nearly reconsidered on the summer after coming off and removing most of yes the skin on one knee. I ride a couple of tines with pads to keep the dressing in place (my knee wasn't really healing at the time and kept oozing) but I hated it.

I think more people are wearing them because they're better than they were if you buy the D3 jobbies. One of the guys at work has started wearing elbow pads after a freak accident; he came off and manage to slice through two ligaments on a sharp rock and reckons that pads would have limited the damage.

Good job nobody turns up to RB rides with 'em on :LOL: ....or do they?

Back