Titanium brake mount bolts?

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've had these in my watch list a while.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?item=2 ... =100&rt=nc

Either I actually need bolts or mine are rusty heavy steel things...
However, my bike isn't weight weenie it could lose some weight bit at a time.
These seem pretty good quality and value I guess.

I've figure mount to frame and forks are around 20mm long M6, and the mount caliper connecting bolts prob shorter...

Any comments or wisdom on this?

Cheers

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I won't run anything other than steel on the front as the bolt takes all the braking load for V's. On the rear, the braking load forces the V onto the mounts anyway, so I use aluminium...which are even lighter than Ti.

Thanks, I'll be using Disc calipers on this bike, Ti should be strong enough, or do you need more material to match strength of steel?

Titanium is awful stuff for fasteners - it galls so can be awful to undo, plus the aluminium bits corrode. If you insist, use plenty of copperslip on everything. The heads are softer than steel and mangle easily. Personally I'd save weight elsewhere.

Good advice, thank you, I'd read something similarly a while back. In that case I'm looking for some quality steel/stainless bolts then. Cheers

i am using Ti bolts got brake callipers and adapters as well as disc brake rotor, as indeed a lot of folks on weight weenies without issues. (I can recall one instance of a rotor bolt seizing but that is it). can't comment on v-brake usage.

Blue Ti bolts galore - see below. (the eagled eyed will spot the Al washers)

Attachments

• ti.jpg
    ti.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 219
Ohh blue ti, nice thanks for the other side of the coin on the subject.

I think for this bike, my Bfe, I'll stick to steel as its a drop n the ocean anyway really but any lighter bikes I might dabble...

Back