The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The Hi-Fi Chat and sales thread

Yeah, like Hamster says, balance pot. Not unusual.

I would definitely try cleaner as it's knackered anyway. If it needs replacing, as long as it's not a concentric balance control (ie as long as it is a separate balance control) it will be easy to source a suitable replacement.

Try sourcing a balance control for a Quad 44. 1k5 modified log taper! That's coming from Quad only, but Quad ignore requests for one!

Here's a question for the tekkies....

If one "rips and burns" a legitimate CD on a computer onto a Tesco cheapo blank CD, then plays it in a half decent stereo system, would you expect any noticeable audible difference between the ligit CD and the copy? I've done it loadsa times and my lugs don't really notice a difference.

Just asking out of curiosity - suppose I'm wondering how good the computer rip n burn process is, technically. I'm guessing its a simple perfect digital copy.

:?:

That's a good question, and one to which I don't know the answer. I guess it's all to do with how accurately the laser can read the 'burned' data, and therefore how much effort the error correction needs to put in.

from fading memory, its all to do with that final bit that the name escapes me. Its that last bit, 'finalizing'? - as long as thats done properly the quality should be ok.

Its all so long ago...

legrandefromage":3f2wu2yp said:
from fading memory, its all to do with that final bit that the name escapes me. Its that last bit, 'finalizing'? - as long as thats done properly the quality should be ok.

Its all so long ago...

Hey - and I thought you were "intelligent" :p

I thought finalising (especially with an 's') just wrote the TOC and stuff like that so the disc can be read by a standard CD player? I'm no computer expert though...

Mr Panda":uxzapc34 said:
Here's a question for the tekkies....

If one "rips and burns" a legitimate CD on a computer onto a Tesco cheapo blank CD, then plays it in a half decent stereo system, would you expect any noticeable audible difference between the ligit CD and the copy? I've done it loadsa times and my lugs don't really notice a difference.

Just asking out of curiosity - suppose I'm wondering how good the computer rip n burn process is, technically. I'm guessing its a simple perfect digital copy.

:?:

If you verify it afterwards, and all the data and checksums pass, it should be as per.

Bearing in mind, it could be a data CD you're burning - and you wouldn't expect it to only get most of the data correct.

In my experience, it's cheapo media that either fail sooner, or are much more likely to fail verify when writing, then better blanks - but the better thing isn't purely driven by spending that much more.

Why is it that your hi-fi sounds so much better late at night? I get that there is less other noise in the wee small hours and possibly the amp has warmed up too but to me it sounds "so" much better.....?

clockworkgazz":st7z3yoj said:
Why is it that your hi-fi sounds so much better late at night? I get that there is less other noise in the wee small hours and possibly the amp has warmed up too but to me it sounds "so" much better.....?

Beer Ears :D :D

Back