About to be a dad (ulp)... any tips?

To avoid breaking the bank on super expensive "must haves" from Boots, join your local FreeCycle / Freegle group (based on Yahoo) there's normally no end of baby stuff being given away, even car seats and cots.

You will do a better job than you think and always, always, always go with disposable nappies :)

Ps Congratulations

jamabikes":fbfazedq said:
personally i dont see the problem with dummies. not exactly an un breakable habbit. dont see many kids past two with em.

They get dependent on them, then only really happy with one in their mouth. Then go to sleep, and lose it in the bed / cot. Then have the screaming ab dabs.

If you don't start them with them, you'll never have the problem. But some parents just seem to want to shut their kids up, so stick one in their mouths.

I forgot to mention - in all seriousness - for God's sake, for the child's sake, and for your sake, (and I apologize if this seems like mere common sense, but) don't take advice about raising a child from someone who's never done it. And I mean this not only when dealing with a newborn, but at any stage of a child's life.

Advice from a mom is OK if you need parenting advice in general, but if you want advice about being a dad, ask someone who has actually been, or is currently, a dad; no-one else. In fact, get several opinions from several dads and then make your decision.

I say this from the experience of having been a child whose parents took advice from people (whether ill-intentioned or not, whether they had ulterior motives or not) that had never raised children of their own.

Myself, I'll never get over it. :x :evil:
I don't blame my parents for being naive; I blame their "friends" who had motives and agendas of their own.

Sorry for the rant, but since you asked...

incorrigible":yvh06mkq said:
I forgot to mention - in all seriousness - for God's sake, for the child's sake, and for your sake, (and I apologize if this seems like mere common sense, but) don't take advice about raising a child from someone who's never done it. And I mean this not only when dealing with a newborn, but at any stage of a child's life.

Advice from a mom is OK if you need parenting advice in general, but if you want advice about being a dad, ask someone who has actually been, or is currently, a dad; no-one else. In fact, get several opinions from several dads and then make your decision.

I say this from the experience of having been a child whose parents took advice from people (whether ill-intentioned or not, whether they had ulterior motives or not) that had never raised children of their own.

Myself, I'll never get over it. :x :evil:
I don't blame my parents for being naive; I blame their "friends" who had motives and agendas of their own.

Sorry for the rant, but since you asked...

There's something to that - but all the same, when I had kids, I decided to largely ignore people - I'd hear what they say, take it with a pinch of salt, but largely do my own thing. Whatever I did do, had to make rational sense to me, rather than just buying into somebody's opinion or their dogma.

The one thing I would say? Right from the off, I found it very important, and useful to be able to do everything - nappies, bathing, feeding. When my first son was born, and we returned from hospital, mum needed rest and recuperation. I had paternity leave and put it to good use. Be able and familiar to do everything with the baby - because you might have to anyway - plus, you'll always be able to do stuff, take them places, and not be dependent on mum. Helps make you good at it, and helps create a bond with your baby.

A bath thermometer is really useful. I compared the eblow test with one and what i thought was ok probably would have cooked my daughter. Congratulations.

jamabikes":1z2d15tv said:
please dont get a 2nd hand car seat.
Why on earth not? Providing its not covered in old vom or 15 yrs old why not?. Its a perfectly sensible thing to do. Apart from bring deluged in food and fluids there is nothing that can go wrong. Anyone who is mechanical enough to tinker with bike would have no problem with a car seat. I had ours apart to fix a known design flaw with the recliner - less parts than a set of v's or canti's. lots of dismantling guides on you tube.

One or 2 of ours have been from family and friends - we only have their word that there's nothing wrong with them - apart from the fact that if there was it would be obvious. Even in the worst case scenario where one has been dropped or crashed they aren't like helmets - once the washable covers come off any damage is perfectly visible.

In other news don't bother with a Moses basket - waste of time.

secret_squirrel":v6xrzn93 said:
jamabikes":v6xrzn93 said:
please dont get a 2nd hand car seat.
Why on earth not? Providing its not covered in old vom or 15 yrs old why not?. Its a perfectly sensible thing to do. Apart from bring deluged in food and fluids there is nothing that can go wrong. Anyone who is mechanical enough to tinker with bike would have no problem with a car seat. I had ours apart to fix a known design flaw with the recliner - less parts than a set of v's or canti's. lots of dismantling guides on you tube.

One or 2 of ours have been from family and friends - we only have their word that there's nothing wrong with them - apart from the fact that if there was it would be obvious. Even in the worst case scenario where one has been dropped or crashed they aren't like helmets - once the washable covers come off any damage is perfectly visible.

Think I'd agree on the car seat thing - in typical, ambivalent fashion, I'd not done anything with mine - but a friend of a friend wanted one, and ours were decent ones - they offered a little bit of money, which I hadn't been expecting, I washed the seat cover, and they got a very decent seat, for not very much money.

secret_squirrel":v6xrzn93 said:
In other news don't bother with a Moses basket - waste of time.

Well I found them useful - when tiny, they'd often be asleep in one downstairs, and I'd carry the stand up, then the basket with them still asleep, and they'd then carry on undisturbed - well until their next feed.

Back