Moving to spain any tips?

Bpool77":1zeo741u said:
Sorry for the late reply, bank holiday in Blackpool :LOL:

Thanks for all your tips and info, Ive got work there with a pal, Ive also got family in Alicante and Barcalona and we've just paid the deposit on a town house on a complex meters from the beach :cool:.

Oh well, you're well in then! All the very best of luck - it'll be a breath of fresh air in your lives.

get along to wh smiths and pick up
learn spanish cds;put in the effort;best of luck
brill living by the sea,highly rate it myself lots to do all the time;
addios

Javea last night all I'd need is a Klein to go with it :LOL:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 245
Learning the language is a given, you simply must if you wish to fit into the local community and in this day of immigration issues it helps you with those that are maybe against the idea, better when you can speak their language and can see that youre as friendly and 'normal' as they are.
Theres a prog on Spanish hospitals in the tourist hotspots and you would think that there would be more English speaking Spanish medical staff in these areas and its quite the reverse so speaking some of the language is very important should a medical emergency arise.

IMPORTANT
Find a good tapas bar and ingratiate yourself into it :D Sure talk , go to any expat places or events but i think the local places will help you build relationships with the locals youre going to be neighbors with. In fact you could ask your immediate neighbors if they know of any good taverns and tapas places.

I think one of the problems i see with people coming in is they form little communities of their own, little forts in the wilderness and all its really been shown to do is isolate you further from the locals. Sets up a 'them and us' mentality :?

Thanks for the info and tips^^^^

I've got a few books on learning Spanish and also got a app on the iPad, I'm just struggling with the j/h thing :? I'll Suss it though.

With regards as to finding a good bar don't think I'll struggle on that front :LOL: and were we are going has supposed to have a large expat community. My pal and his missis have been there a few years and both speak fluent Spanish and have told us there's regular classes to help, thanks again Daz.

I moved to Spain last year, and only lasted 6 months. I had a very good job, secured before I left, and I just never settled. Didn't help that my wife was in Bournemouth, and I was out there. Not visiting each other enough, as I pissed my wages up the wall with yachties instead of biting the bullet and paying the higher fairs in season. Learning the language was the hardest thing for me. I went with none, and can now understand far more than I can speak. The TEFL advice is good. My mate there was doing that, and was loving it.

be patient with the language, it took me a couple of years without books, though im not good with languages, hated French at school. the main thing is making the effort and don't worry about making mistakes.

Pyro Tim":3j3xyxg6 said:
I moved to Spain last year, and only lasted 6 months. I had a very good job, secured before I left, and I just never settled. Didn't help that my wife was in Bournemouth, and I was out there. Not visiting each other enough, as I pissed my wages up the wall with yachties instead of biting the bullet and paying the higher fairs in season. Learning the language was the hardest thing for me. I went with none, and can now understand far more than I can speak. The TEFL advice is good. My mate there was doing that, and was loving it.

Sorry to hear that for you pal, as much as I'd like to say I'd love six months away from my missis I'd be fooooked without her and home in two weeks with a raging hangover, I've got enough for a years living expenses ( I hope ) and if I'm not happy then it will be home for me.

Went fishing yesterday and spent six hours reading Spanish translation books still clueless ha sure I was in the top sets at school to??? Just doesn't seem to be sticking in my brain?

Back