15th September - Glencoe Camp and ride out.

Velo - yer 3 man tent for sharing with me and Princess (ZZ) is probably the best in terms of space in car if yer happy with that ?

Yup I can manhandle the old ridge tent through the trains to Dunfy QM. Ridge tents are good if its windy and they're reasonably warm too. :D

if yer in the west end of edinburgh any time before then, drop the tent in at my work and i can put in the car ?

I'll need it for the weekend after our Glencoe trip and so I'll need to get it back from Dunfy to Loanhead on the Sunday. So I might as well get used to hauling it around the train system !

here is a good route which saves the ride round glencoe and also lets us descend the devils staircase which should be good. pinched from another site

brilliant route. biggish day out would be devils staircase, over the top, when you hit the access road turn right and follow it along to black loch reservoir dam. at the dam you, er, could climb over the fence/gate and QUICKLY cross it while no one is looking (nobody there). ahem.
then turn right, you end up on the above path down to kinlochleven, then take the access road up and out of kinlochleven past the hydro station back towards the dam to where you met the original accessroad/devils staircase junction. staircase back up and over to the bottom of it.

blummin brilliant route - techy, feels remote, longish day in the saddle (esp in the bad weather we had) think we arrived back at the car with 10 mins before it got dark. will be doing it again!!!

I've also ridden a variation to the Ciaran Path which misses out the really tough stuff at the top (which is pretty rubbly in places). If you follow the pipeline it climbs very gently (it supplies water to the BWR from Loch Eilde Mor) and is mostly rideable if a bit vague in places. You can then pick up a very steep path from Leiter Bo Fionn which drops you onto the lower, faster bit of the Ciaran Path. It's also pretty testing but less rubbly and misses the uphill bits on the CP "descent"

some chat here about it
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... n-scotland

You are trying to scare me aren't you Keith. So far your succeeding but the pictures make me think more and more that a fat bike front tyre will roll over most of that with a semblance of ease. Jamies Pugsley will be in its element.

cool im going to be up there from friday night might just use the red squirrel site for both nights saves taking tent down is there a chucking out time for that site?

nah they are usually fine as long as you are away in the afternoon. prob best to pack before we leave for the ride on the sunday i think though ?

Back