Work bikes

my Post-Bycicle... :xmas-wink:

large_P1250012.JPG

large_P1250013.JPG

large_P1250014.JPG

groovyblueshed":5cgtzgpy said:
The allotment flyer – also commutes 165 miles per week from Enfield to Wimbledon and back through London.

16 miles each way 5 days a week on flat pedals and nobblies?

gtRTSdh":1rqgox5d said:
groovyblueshed":1rqgox5d said:
The allotment flyer – also commutes 165 miles per week from Enfield to Wimbledon and back through London.

16 miles each way 5 days a week on flat pedals and nobblies?

Yeah, seems crazy. It's about 12.5 miles (50 minutes) from home in Enfield to Waterloo Station, where I then catch a train to Wimbledon, to ensure I get into work by a certain time. After work, I ride all the way home from Wimbledon via Waterloo to Enfield which is roughly 20.5 miles. That takes about 1 hour 45 mins. But I'd rather do that than be on foot crammed into 3 trains/tubes for nearly 2 hours each way.

The original Deore DX pedals aren't up to the job and the old Onza HOs are in the parts bin hoping for repairs. I'm using some DMR V12s now which are excellent grippy platforms– you have to be ready for very quick stop starts and even a bail out, if the need ever arises. I often get stuck behind bikers at the lights waiting for them to clip themselves back in for the off.

The fat 2.2 Race Kings aren't that nobbly really. They roll fast but are best on tarmac/hardpack in dryer conditions. Wouldn't trust them off road or in slippy conditions.

groovyblueshed":3q48986x said:
Yeah, seems crazy. It's about 12.5 miles (50 minutes) from home in Enfield to Waterloo Station, where I then catch a train to Wimbledon, to ensure I get into work by a certain time. After work, I ride all the way home from Wimbledon via Waterloo to Enfield which is roughly 20.5 miles. That takes about 1 hour 45 mins. But I'd rather do that than be on foot crammed into 3 trains/tubes for nearly 2 hours each way.

V12's are fine pedals. I think my mile and a half each way is quite sensible, 3hrs commuting each day. . . there must be some serious motivation there!

gtRTSdh":3jb4wd5i said:
groovyblueshed":3jb4wd5i said:

V12's are fine pedals. I think my mile and a half each way is quite sensible, 3hrs commuting each day. . . there must be some serious motivation there!

Either mad or motivated.

Cost of annual 4 zone season ticket kept going up to the point were I could no longer afford it on top of all the other bill rises. Also, was ill and had a bad back (see the Sciatica thread on here). At the same time, I was reunited with the old bike after many years. I felt that 2 hours a day each way, wedged into tubes trains standing at an awkward angle, was not value for money and precious time lost, particularly after the daily service delays. So once I'd got the bike road worthy again, I decided to save the money and use the time lost standing on trains, to cycle to work and get fit at the same instead. Now, if there are any days when I ever have to use public transport, I feel immensely frustrated and restless.

The V12s do a lot of spinning and have survived a couple of mishaps, but the only problem so far is a missing plastic dust cap off one of them. I'd buy those again, but may be in a more restrained colour.

when it's not raining this is mine

Attachments

• Trimble red.JPG
    Trimble red.JPG
    341.6 KB · Views: 1,448
  • Trimble blue.JPG
    Trimble blue.JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 1,448
Back