Ten year restoration 96 YETI Sherpa

I read the blog entry on Frank's site back when he did the repairs. Cool to see it painted and built up. Looks great.

blilrat":8ryuyylg said:
I read the blog entry on Frank's site back when he did the repairs. Cool to see it painted and built up. Looks great.

can you post a link to it?

Just come back from the virgin voyage. Lovely but very, very long!!!

Need to find a stem about 15-20mm shorter.

Everything works ok apart from the Winwood plastic front pads which scream like a lycanthrope on a full moon.

Again thanks for the comments.

ridevintagemtb":2vv8gdma said:
Retro Spud":2vv8gdma said:
can you post a link to it?

http://www.frankthewelder.com/?p=701

Slim

Aside from having the benifit of owning the frame from new, what fantastic additional provenance you now have to go with your Sherpa,

Also loving your use of Greek mythology !

B.T.W
some would have strung this build out over the 20 pages to get to where you are :shock:

Lovely and echo what everyone has said, welcome back to an old friend :)

Rich

This is an awesome restoration and the bike is again structurally good as new as well as appearing like it was custom-built from a new frame for the first time! Great effort and patience and will involved from the owner!

I am a newbie to bikes and acquired 4 steel bikes only from the last 2 years. They were from 1981 to 1987 and at least 2 of them had seen some neglect from previous owner/s but not damaged by corrosion enough to require major frame work as the Sherpa. The Sherpa appears in the 1996 catalog so it is a relatively new steel bike.

I am also interested in the Yeti bikes like the PRO FRO and have read about cracks in stressed areas and also corrosion issues in the rear triangle. My newbie question are: Are the corrosion issues somehow caused by the continuous loop tubing design of the rear triangle? Are there vent or drain holes in the loop? Are the damage caused by a combination of structural weak areas and lack of vent/drain holes causing condensation or water to stay in the loop?

I am a newbie and have not seen an actual Yeti bike yet and curious to learn from the knowledgeable members. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Back