Orange C16R seatpost (+ new (?) removal technique)

They had used 26.4 posts previously, but that was when their seat tubes were ED28.6. For the P7 and C16R they went over to ED31.8 seat tubes as a design feature in the interests of greater stiffness there. They could have used a 29.8 or 30.0 post, but they weren't in great supply in those days and anyway were much heavier than a 26.4 (and it is a steel post I seem to recall). Orange were far from alone in using shims when designing a frame with a 31.8 seat tube. e.g., all USE posts were designed to be used with a shim.

Aah that explains it, nice one thanks Anthony. Sorry if my previous post sounded a bit off - unintentional I can assure you! I just like to get to the bottom of these things :)

Quick update for anyone interested. I spotted a NOS Kalloy 29.8 seatpost on eBay (quite a rare size) and picked it up for a tenner so I decided to try and get the shim out after all.

As Paddy suggested I equipped myself with a flat-head screwdriver and, for good measure, a big old chisel that had no edge to it anyway. Wasn't getting far with the screwdriver and thought if I could get theend of the chisel into the notch on one side and the side of it into the other notch I could get some leverage for twisting the shim.

Well whadyeknow! It wasn't fused after all and started to twist. Eventually I got enough to grip with plyers and the rest is history!

Seatpost fits a treat and its mahoosive so I'm thinking this bike might fit me after all :)

Here's some pics

Shim part way out
DSC_0971_zpsc8adb2f8.jpg

Then I remembered to get a shot with the chisel (obviously by then it was no longer needed)
DSC_0970_zpsb5ef0719.jpg

Twisting it out with plyers (in case you just couldn't imagine what that might look like ;-) )
DSC_0973_zpsbf36f68a.jpg

And it's out!
DSC_0974_zpsb09a733e.jpg

Seatpost almost as long as seat tube!

DSC_0975_zps7fb03036.jpg

And it is up to min insert - you can see the grease line
DSC_0978_zpsb214f299.jpg

Haha that one's kept in the loft for now - not ideal for working on but out of the way. And yes I am planning on sorting the loft out....... one day... ;-)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back