I was just riding along - snapped front mech content

boxxer

MacRetro Rider
Actually I was, on the road down to the bottom of Caddon Bank in Innerleithen when I went for a shift from middle to big ring and BANG, I initially thought my lugged and glued Raleigh had come apart at the seams but the front mech was tangled in the back tyre and the band had snapped and was flapping in the breeze!

After clearing the mess from my shorts I had a good look and its gone right beside the tube clamp and it looks like a fatigue crack

So I'm now on the hunt for a reasonable 26.8 tp M901 so I can get running again, anybody else had one go like that??

The joys of retro!!

Not had a front mech blow up, but I had something very similar with an M901 rear mech, which blew up at the merest hint of a touch with a fern stem (as seen by the rider behind me).

Turned out that a previous owner had fitted a lightweight alloy jockey wheel axle, thus saving about half a gram over the standard steel item. :facepalm:

As you say, the joys of owning 20 year old mechs.

NeilM":3kl9doq7 said:
As you say, the joys of owning 20 year old mechs.

trust me, happens to 2 year old mechs when they argue with twiglets. one of the laws of the universe is that the more expensive the mech, the more likley it is to get damaged.

The bonus of it happening to newer gear (if there is a bonus) is that 1) You can soon buy another one and (2) a rare bit of retro kit does not get any more rare.

I was more shocked by the bang - the sound will haunt my dreams...

Seemed for a while like every mech was 26.8 tp now not so much at all.......

Back