MacRetro chat and rides thread

I can suggest heading from my house south 75% or more off road to Glentress via lots of landrover track/timber roads. We could rough camp at the very southernmost point of midlothian which is a narrow valley due east of Eddlestone just before the windfarm which sits on the northern edge of Glentress forest. Following morning wind our way into Glentress and try a few trails then reverse trip or follow road back. never actually done this ride but OS maps and Arial photos say its doable.

I have to admit a ride like that doesn't quite do it for me for an overnighter, I'm not doubting the riding but it's as much about the views and the feeling of escape for me nowadays, I can do farmland pretty much any day of the week. There is so much more of epic postcard Scotland to see within 2 hours, and something over to the west would make a nice change too.

Scenery junky, you need to apreciate whats on your doorstep. There's no where fairly central that doesn't involve lots of farmland. Dont see why every ovenight trip needs to be an epic into the back end of the highlands ?

velomaniac":3i2s2hkv said:
Scenery junky, you need to apreciate whats on your doorstep. There's no where fairly central that doesn't involve lots of farmland. Dont see why every ovenight trip needs to be an epic into the back end of the highlands ?

Now tell us what the real issue is?

Excellent stuff :) at least the format seems to be favourable. Would a seperate thread be useful now? Also theres no need to discount anything, if its a success then a few more rides could be scheduled in. Possibly a All nighter thread and future rides could be discussed? I'll let an area bod decide. Maybe we could all contribute with a bit of our local knowledge. I could certainly t somehting up for Arran in the future.

Bridge of Orchy - Blackmount - Glen Kinglass - Armaddy - Loch Etive - Inverawe Smokehouse - Dalmally - Bridge of Orchy.

A sort of Blackmount / Glen Etive Day 2 in reverse. Bunkhouse and wild camping at BofO and possible trip to Kingshouse too. Involves some tarmac work between Inverawe and Dalmally and a wee bit of Glen Orchy.

:p

:( seems I may have jumped the gun a bit on touting an All Nighter, my calender is pretty full at the weekends till into October! Please feel free to start without me though and hopefully if its not too cold/late in the year I'll get to one!

I have managed to book a day off for biking on Thursday the 29th Aug if anyone is off or interested, I'm fancying hitting a big hill or Fort Bill red or a scoot to Arran either on the road or mtb.

Back