Frankenbike. Woeful Brakes Aborted

Re: Frankenbike. It lives!

Boredom. Completely reversible. I can just drop the Marin bars etc back on in about 30 mins. Just wondered what it would be like. Free thinking. You should do something impetuous once in a while.
Basso has long stem and post as I prefer the short reach.

love it....i build bikes out of boredom, just wonder what this frame is like with those forks/bars/ss etc, but once i start, i'm not bored anymore.

The History Man":1gdwxu2u said:
Boredom. Completely reversible. I can just drop the Marin bars etc back on in about 30 mins. Just wondered what it would be like. Free thinking. You should do something impetuous once in a while.
Stop that at ONCE!

Next thing you know you will be enjoying yourself and even (dare I say it) having FUN!

You are clearly not taking this RetroBiking anything like seriously enough, now get that Marin back to factory specification THIS MINUTE.

I'm glad someone posted this thread, I have been considering the idea of a 'Franken bike' as a commuter with a jumble of parts for a while and also wanted to fit 'dirt drops' probably the on-one midge bars as they are well priced.

How does the set up work with the thumbshifters on top and how does the brake operate, does it have enough pull?

Thanks guys.

Thumb shifters are great. Brakes are weak and need longer straddles to set the arms wider for more pull but they work as is. Feels tall but fun.

If you use cyclocross type cantis with road levers you will have plenty of braking power. I use FSA canti's but there are plenty of cheaper options on the bay.

Trouble is that's another £20 experiment :facepalm: coud put these lovely lx ones onthe grisley I suppose but if that ain't broke...........

Hey, you can't make an omelette, yadda yadda yadda...

The bay is your friend, look for some lovely old cx canti's. They will look great, work and the purists here will hate them; win, win, win.

Back