Identifying my R O Harrison frame - Resto Project

As an aside there was some Chater-Lea old stock hanging around the bike shop in the mid 70's, very well made .........the best was some cranks made of steel that were hollow :D how on earth they made them I don't know. Quite light though :)

Best of luck with the resto.

Shaun

I've checked the steerer tube and there's nothing there. So definitely no S/N at all on this frame. Could this be of any significance in determining the date of the frame or for any other reason?

I have been given a Cyclo derailleur of the period. I will post a pic of it later this eve - If it turns out to be suitable for this project that would be great.

Hi, I wouldn't worry, as indicated it looks around ww2, and as you can imagine it was a difficult time in which to live in, let alone keep a business running and serial numbers/book keeping may of been a bit suspect. Still digging, when I have time. Terry

Nice early benelux cyclo, very early fifties I think, I've not seen that shifter before, very nice. Check the internal distance between the dropouts, you'll need space to fit a freewheel, if you want to use it. Terry

The distance between dropouts is 110-115mm. What would the bike be likely to have been set up with originally if not a freewheel? Single speed? Hub gears?

Anyway, it seems I have an early Cyclo Benelux derailleur and shifter spare!

Gibson_customs":3232c4i8 said:
The distance between dropouts is 110-115mm. What would the bike be likely to have been set up with originally if not a freewheel? Single speed? Hub gears?

Anyway, it seems I have an early Cyclo Benelux derailleur and shifter spare!

Almost certainly one of the following three:

1. Sturmey Archer hub gear - underrated and aesthetically pleasing on a 40s/50s bicycle.
2. Three speed freewheel and derailleur (my Father had this set up on his tour in France in 1953).
3. Double sided hub with a fixed one side, freewheel the other (or even two fixed or two freewheels).

The Sturmey hub would be my period choice as early derailleurs weren't great when new.

R.O Harrison was trained by Maurice Selbach, and my Grandfather knew Maurice, who was killed whilst riding to work in, I believe, 1935.

Roadking.

Latest posts

Back