Top Gear Is Just Like Cheers!

Clarkson's VC documentary gets shown in my classroom. May doing the Toy Stories was great. Hammond doing Total Wipeout is............. OK I'll stop there.Top Gear is getting a little tired and predictable with the laugh count falling. Will still be watching though.

The Clarkson Europe series was funny too.

Isaac_AG":1d99qskb said:
Chopper1192":1d99qskb said:
Top Gear is a bunch of old darts talking bollocks aimed at the sort of young man who'd buy a Fester ST, or the slightly older gentleman who thinks it's cool to wear a Subaru rally jacket to the pub. Not remotely interesting or funny

Well I like Top Gear, I've been watching it since the 70's and am none of the things you describe, I love the irreverent humour and I guess I've just been there for so long :roll: I kinda like Man Lab too I also guess I'm just not your average woman :D

Alison

I used to like it loads - the latent teenage lad in me used to revel in the daftness.

But once Clarkson, and The Help, decided that they'd try and be edgy, controversial comics for pay, I could start to see the wires, and it became a parody of what it once was.

Most of the time, I suspect they don't believe a word of the bollocks they spout, but they do it to appeal to - and by Clarkson's own admittal - their demograph, of "apes". It's the worst kind of supposed edgy humour - just a bit over the line to draw a sharp intake of breath, but not enough for them to court any real trouble with those with teeth who would truly bite back, and give them something to consider beyond mumbling, bumbiling, insincere apologies.

It's not the daftness, the juvenile thing, or the lack of realism that bothers me - in fact I can understand people enjoying it for just those very things - it's the realisation that in order to retain the audience they've now cultivated, they've got to extend the scatological-esque humour further and further, so they've become like patomime villains, all they're missing out on, now, is dressing up as women - but mark my words, it's bound to come.

highlandsflyer":lhtcrfg1 said:
I like James May's other activities. Clarkson makes a strong argument as a presenter when he is less self consciously aping the comedian he never was. He has made one or two interesting programmes as I recall.

That's the thing - on their own, or on certain subjects, most of them can make some interesting TV.

Put 'em all on Top Gear, and they're like teenagers trying to be funny and out-there - it's all just a bit to pretend bravado, now.

highlandsflyer":2vak39bu said:
Neil":2vak39bu said:
all they're missing out on, now, is dressing up as women

Hammond, post trauma, seemed to adopt a rather androgynous style. Seems he has fully recovered now.

I know I really shouldn't laugh - but the antidote to their arrogance, is Frankie Boyle's joke about The Hamster.

Clarkson actually posted on twitter that the rest of the series is better and he felt that the 1st one was quite a weak episode.

Neil":1ms8jnio said:
highlandsflyer":1ms8jnio said:
Neil":1ms8jnio said:
all they're missing out on, now, is dressing up as women

Hammond, post trauma, seemed to adopt a rather androgynous style. Seems he has fully recovered now.

I know I really shouldn't laugh - but the antidote to their arrogance, is Frankie Boyle's joke about The Hamster.

I love Stewart Lee on the Hamster.

:)

Back