8/9 speed

kenaltobelli

Retrobike Rider
ok dum question i know;got a pair of wheels
back one has 8 speed cog on ;i need to buy shifters and chain
if i buy all 8 speed will it work with a nine speed crank and rings?
the fronts a hollow tech deore thanks

Obviously you'll need and 8 speed shifter for an 8 speed cassette, but a 7, 8 or 9 speed chain will be fine. Although, if you're buying new, you'll have more choice if you buy an 9 speed cassette, shifters and chain.

actually 10 speed Shimano chains are narrower than 8/9 speed ones, you will likely have poor shifting performance if you try to mix.

8/9 speed gear is mostly interchangeable assuming you stay with the same brand (sram and Shimano don't tend to play well together as far as mixing shifters and mechs IIRC).

Elysarian":1ju4p2v4 said:
actually 10 speed Shimano chains are narrower than 8/9 speed ones, you will likely have poor shifting performance if you try to mix.

8/9 speed gear is mostly interchangeable assuming you stay with the same brand (sram and Shimano don't tend to play well together as far as mixing shifters and mechs IIRC).

Yes, but any chainset / chain combination is OK. All chainrings are the same thickness in recent years - the only difference is the number painted on the ring.

There are a few 7 speed chainsets where a narrower chain can jam between the rings.

That's good to know, because 9 speed chainsets seem to be disappearing fast. Have a look at CRC or Wiggle, lots of 1, 2 or 3x10 chainsets and only a handful of 9 speed. :shock:

cheers guys;i have a nine speed cog and an 8 speed one
just wanting a set of shifters cheap;
can then get chain didnt want to buy an 8 speed set and have it come off the
chain rings all the time;8 speed turns up dirt cheap all the time ;
its only going on a winter hack

Back