Polishing Aluminium- It's your fault!

Well this is the depraved level of polishing that I have sunk to :)..

Here's a quick show of a build I have atm. You'll suss what it is from the pics :). I stripped its parts from it and scraped it clean of all the knackered paint, just starting to throw stuff back on it. Be a rider soon..

shinybits030_zps485eed49.jpg

shinybits048_zps64c06010.jpg

shinybits039_zps046e6e3c.jpg

DSC_0227_zps42e0e498.jpg

Morning,

I have a sandblaster near me who charges about £15 for a frame and forks. The cost of chemicals to remove paint worked out at £17 - hard to resist a bargain!

Richard

feetabix":2124drpy said:
........with blisters and horribly blackened hands I may add!........
I used latex gloves to polish and hold the frame. I like to work the frame in my hands rather than having it on a bench. My clothes take a beating, but fortunately the crud comes out in the wash.

Bullpup":2mbg9g2a said:
What do you use to keep the shine - Wax if so which one please?
I have stripped and cleaned the frame and I'm using Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish, but I'm having problems with cloudy patches. I have been advised to get 1000-12000 wet and dry, then polish with the Mothers.

To keep the shine I have been advised either to re-lacquer, or to keep the alu naked but re shine when it starts to look a little tired, being careful to avoid the decals. The Mothers has a waxy finish which is water repellent and may be good on it's own. In America they use it for alloy car wheels, so it should be okay for a bike frame.

Not sure which finish I will go for. I need to check out a car sprayers to see how much they charge for the frame, as none the bike shops locally can do a re-spray job.

Bullpup":1z0wd819 said:
What do you use to keep the shine - Wax if so which one please?

I've gone for bare naked ally - No lacquer as it always ends up getting stuff under it and eventually looking looking naff so why bother IMO. I just give it a quick buffing with polish when it gets a little jaded looking..30 mins and it looks mint again and I stop sweatin' :LOL: .

I have heard that 'Peek' is a better alternative to Autosol..I may get some.

Back