Can't find it, But who said Oranges were overrated bikes??

Re: Can't find it, But who said Oranges were overrated bikes

Well done for outing yourself :) and I do have to agree with your views, like anything you have to see beyond the name and get to the nitty gritty, for me and I will be honest, the bikes offer clean lines, adopts any groupset you throw at them, and isn't in your face like some brands. And you don't have to pay over the odds for them, they make relatively inexpensive builds yet can provide some great riding experiences, well in my case I've found that.

It's all Horses for Courses at the end of the day :)

I love Orange bikes, the Prestige I have is one of the best riding steel frames I've ridden, period. The modern P7 I had was in a similar vein as well.
I see Orange as simple, effective, no nonsense bikes. They are not "boutique", high-end, custom crafted things, but as far as mass produced bikes go they are well up the pecking order.
Whilst bikes like the Orange 5 have been popular I still think the best bikes that Orange Did/Do are their hardtail bikes and in particular their steel framed ones.

Orange bikes, Northern England, chips & gravy :D :D :D

They're marketing was better than most, which will affect they way people think of them.

Their brand name for one lends itself to so many uses, fruit based gimmicks, cult film references, visual puns, iconic colour schemes and much more. The Orange spotted jerseys, the feather weighing more than the orange on the scales, the orange peeling advert all stick in my mind. The Made in England stamp was also a factor. Get your marketing right and the product doesn't need to be the best, see iPhone.

I might be biased as I had one but the orange/white Clockwork is as iconic a colour scheme as any Klein or Zolatone Marin. The fact the seat tube rusted and ultimately snapped due to water ingress at the rear facing clamp doesn't affect my love of them one bit.

I think as a British brand they can't be faulted, almost as cool as pace but far more obtainable and a clocky was one of the best riding 'entry level' proper mountain bikes. Just sitting on my prestige makes me grin from ear to ear.

Are there better bikes - definitely - are there many that make me smile as much - no.

It's a emotional thing - hence mere reason will never persuade me otherwise.

Jussa":39c2fdtw said:
It's a personal thing really I guess, I can't get on with Kleins, but have ridden a few TREK's and found them great bikes, the same for Proflex & Girvins, I love them, but many hate them. I will keep enjoying my bikes no matter what people's perception on the brand. And anyway it's the variety that is the spice of life and the heart of this great forum :)

+1

I've often heard how great Konas are so I've just re-built a 94 Cinder Cone. It's a good bike, but no better than my Univega Alpina or (British) Merlin Malt so it will soon be gone. I've got an early 90s Clockwork that I'm going to re-build, hopefully as one to keep. But if it's no better than my current rides then it will also go. Better to sell the Cinder Cone and Clockwork, as market forces and name mean they will sell for a lot more than the Univega or Merlin. Can't say much about the really top-end bikes as my budget doesn't stretch that far!

Slightly off topic, but relevant, orange as a british brand, achieved that hard balance between ((puffs chest out)) made in britain and mass-produced, ok TANGE taiwan had a hand in there ;) .

Common enough to be known by most people interested in bikes. Like the brand quotes......ALL ROUND.

Had a clockwork and couldn't quite get on with it, not 100% sure why, i eventually put it down to wheel base vs top tube. I couldn't get it moving, it seemed to fight me back.

However, the P7 is another level. Had a go on one (captain cosmic's at sherwood pines) and was impressed by how responsive and agile it was. Must keep looking for one.

Overall a good british production considering the might of the USA and japan with their produce. Orange still going too.

marc two tone":3cagc2u1 said:
Orange still going too.

This counts for a lot in my book - unlike a lot who fell by the wayside or lost their identity (hello pace) they are still going pretty strong.

It's not like Orange lost their identity and binned steel frames recently...

They all succumb in the end.

<puts hand up> I, erm, didnt like mine... My C16R flared its headtube so the headset would fall out. The P7 decided that its chrome should randomly peel off and my Clockwork was a bit flexy (i was comparing it to the double 'ard b'stard of a Zaskar at the time so that is a wee bit unfair!)

Latest posts

Back