The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The Hi-Fi Chat and sales thread

Just downloaded FOC a 74 page technical guide to rebuilding and setting up my Linn Sondek table :D

...and to think you could get better performance from a £50 eBay CD player... :mrgreen: ;)

Ah but the Sondek was cheap see.......surprisingly so......plus the factory is 5 minutes from where I stayed as a nipper, so some sort of regional loyalty thing going on :D

I have to say it also sounds pretty good. As I was brought up on vinyl I kinda like it for certain stuff. Wouldn't pay serious money for one though.

Is that your modded Marantz down to 50 notes now then? Posted :xmas-big-grin:

To top it off I'm currently sitting with an A&R Cambridge A60 in bits in the kitchen - nothing technical - just replacing the mains lead before flogging it.

:p

Have a look at the label inside the A60, see who's names are on it. I worked there for a bit from '85.

The Marantz has recently gone to a new home.

Just bought a Cambridge CD6 with a dodgy drawer for a bargain price (so my CD67 might be up for grabs in a while - that one has rather more mods than the one I just sold - it's my test bed). The CD6 machine is a superbly designed bit of kit - streets ahead of other players of similar price. I believe our mate Mr Self had a hand in it.

apache":28yc3c85 said:
Have a look at the label inside the A60, see who's names are on it. I worked there for a bit from '85.

Here you go - 1986.......

:D

I now have a dilemma. The A60/NAD/Mordaunt-Short floorstander combo I've been listening to in the kitchen actually sounds really good and I was gonna sell it :|
Really relaxed and soft unlike the dictatorship Audiolab/Micromega/Mission tyranny which commands all who enter the living room to listen at high volumes or else! Sonic Attack Underway!!!

Not one that passed through my hands, though Cathy sticks out in my mind as utterly mental. She operated the automated test rig which you popped the board in and a series of pins would press on pads under the board and make various measurements. She had a habit of pressing the board down a bit hard and grounding it on the metalwork below, resulting in mini explosions and smoke.

Think it's had new PSU caps at some point, they aint standard.

I always remember the A60 having a lovely unflustered sound which wasn't at all in your face but was detailed and in command all the same. Quite unlike some of it's competitors at the time.

Remember trying one of those back in the day, i think i passed it up for something else, but remember it being a bit polite a bit too friendly and not a very full sound compared to others i was listening too as i recall, but good non the less......quite clear sounding but a bit thin........

legrandefromage":1le9wvf4 said:
Wharfedale E50 up on t'ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0900156935

$T2eC16ZHJGEFFm5D)kE1BRgr-62e3g~~60_12.JPG

and the Rogers LS6a

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0900167568

$T2eC16JHJGsFFMlu285+BRgs,Tti(w~~60_58.JPG

Both sets now SOLD!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back