how would i fix this

keithglos":13gpnbw2 said:
what is the worst that can happen while riding it?

it could fall apart because you started trusting it and rode it a little harder than you meant to, then cause a crash in which you could die.

not trying to be melodramatic but there are so many cheap to buy frames out there that unless this frame holds significant personal value or is some prized piece of mtb history it should be consigned to the local scrap merchant. even if repaired i would always have that feeling of not wanting to ride it too hard.

i know we're all here coz we love old bikes but at some point you need to say it's time to hang this up as just wall art.

The angle of the head tube means that all the time your weight on the bike will be opening the crack. In the worst case you get a catastrophic failure where the bottom of the head tube peels open. At the same time the steering will jam.

As others have said, there are plenty more Alu frames out there, this is one to avoid.

This is the reason why press-in cups were replaced by integrated designs - the radial stresses from the interference fit splits the tube. Frame is only fit for scrap - Bianchis of this vintage were notorious for breaking too.

Did it come with any forks ????

pigman":yytnluu2 said:
Jubillee clip round it. Don't laugh ... a mate did that to his alu Bianchi and rode it for a few years as a winter bike. It looked a real bodge and was a constant source of ridicule tthough
Hmmmmm! This is a bike I got cheap and the rear seat tube was cracked and it had a clip around that too...lol
bike004.jpg

Lots of alloy frames crack like that.I have seen Scott,Specialized,Certini and now Bianchi.It will get worse.The Specialized I saw last week had them top and bottom of the headtube and longer.

jm":1dy69h2f said:
Lots of alloy frames crack like that.I have seen Scott,Specialized,Certini and now Bianchi.It will get worse.The Specialized I saw last week had them top and bottom of the headtube and longer.

Alloy Bianchis of a certain vintage (mid-late 90s, in particular the Mega Pro EV2 IIRC) are infamous for failing; it did the firm's reputation no end of damage.

David

A good alloy tig welder would sort that,I have got 4 guys that could all sort it.Would I bother repairing it?No,the machining after welding would take more time than its worth.

I would say thats down to a pretty hard impact and probably now worth the risk...However i have used a jubilee clip in the past for an old dordle to town bike and worked well :)

Back