Rossin Prestige Team build

Rikster,

Thanks for the tip - hopefully i will get a response. If it works, i owe you a beer (perhaps two!!)) This is bizarre, i have seen that link before!!! Not sure how i got to it but i saw the party pics over the past 2 days!!!!

I do believe in co-incidence!!!

Richard

I have tried Flavio, unfortunately he had no useful info - another brick wall!

I did however receive this nugget of information from another source -

"IIRC the hexagonal tubing was only around for a couple of years circa '90-92... The only tange catalogs I could find online were the 1988 & 1997
The '88 makes no mention of the hexagonal tubing, FWIW. Anyway, this might help you with your timeline, I think the circa '90 is correct, at least in terms of what tubing was available."

Can anyone confirm the tube information?

Thanks all,

Richard

Morning all,

I am presuming there are no Tange tubing experts about (in anoraks!!).

Richard

Not definitive, but I don't think Tange made Prestige with a hex profile: more likely that Rossin shaped it themselves with a tube press.

Here's one where Columbus SLX has had a similar treatment.

http://www.thehubsa.co.za/forum/gallery ... e-routing/

Although, despite being badged as SLX, the tubes in the one pictured could have been be done by Columbus as part of their MS Multishape ("Gilco") range: it looks pinched rather than pressed.

More clues ... but still no denouement .....

Hi Doctor Bond,

Strangely i was wondering if you were around. I do not want to argue but i am positive i have seen some info on Tange Prestige tubing with the hex profile being used on MTB's - but, saying that, they may have been Rossin bikes and you could be right. Would the frame stickers give any clue to this?

Richard

The late 80s Rossin Marathon MTB used shaped tubing, but I think it was Columbus:

6.jpg

This brochure shot showing the Ghibli speaks of Rossin "forming its own trademarked rippled Columbus SLX tubing."

1.jpg

So, they clearly had the capacity to reshape proprietary tubing and we know they did it using Columbus SLX. Still no confirmation on Prestige, but I'd say the odds are in favour of the profiling being an in-house job.

(Which of course is much cooler than using an off the shelf tubeset).

LOL Steven,

The addiction NEEDS, i just WANT!!! Could i rent some space in yor garage?

Richard

Dr Bond,

If you are right, which you very well may be, the tubes will not help me with a date. So, i have checked the stickers which, to me, do not reveal much -

Top sticker on seat tube -
"High-Tech
Prestige
Road-Racing
Special Design"

Bottom sticker on seat tube -
"Handmade by Rossin Italy
The Du Pont System"

Does this provide any additional information?

Richard

Back