Can you overgrease bearings ?

The problem with cartridge bearings is that in order to get the extra cartridge bits to fit inside, the bearing itself has to be shrunk. You end up with tiny balls taking the load and they end up having short lives (think Octalink bottom brackets, which have exactly the same issue). The better-designed cartridge headsets are OK (think Raceface Real Seal, Hope etc) - look for one that looks rather bulky; but the cheap, light, dinky ones are not great.

Rampage":2t52t3nr said:
I heard the other day that you can now buy headsets with a cartridge bearing that solves all of these problems.

In my experience they don't solve the problem. The grease used in them is a very low amount, not brilliant for waterproofing and the seals are not watertight. I routinely re-grease brand new headset cartridges with marine grease and have the whole cartridge caked on the outside with marine grease too.

One tip I picked up on Sheldon Browns website to temporarily fix the indexing in the headset is to use take out the caged bearings and replace them with loose bearings in greater numbers, this stops them lining up with the dimples in the headset.

http://sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html (about halfway down with a nice pic of a 'Brinelled' headset)

Andy

Going back to the original question, I overgrease the headset, as I do the stem bolts and quill, because they are in the "Sweat Zone" and subject to the quick effects of sweat induced corrosion.

Back