GT STS - And so it begins...

On another note - When the wheels turned up, I thought that the rear wheel might have had a 130mm axle, as it wasn't a snug fit in the rear dropouts...

Turns out that the rear wheel has a regular 135mm axle, but the frame measures something like 142mm between the dropouts :shock:

The rear wheel still clamps up nicely though and everything is nice and solid once it's in there :D

Tyres have arrived :D

I deliberately chose the ones with the white stripe as they'll tie in nicely with the white saddle and grips.

They're 2.25s, which is as big as I dare to go. I think the STS can only take a 2.3 on the back?

Only £23 each from On-One too :cool:

Attachments

• Tyres.jpg
    Tyres.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 270
I've been impressed with my Schawble tyres. Dead easy to run tubeless too on a UST rim and they make the bike feel much lighter and kind of floaty.

A couple of boxes full of goodies were waiting for me in my office this morning...

And this little beauty just got delivered. The first time I've ever had NOS XTR goodness on a build :cool:

All I'm waiting for now is the headset and shifters, as well as the RC40s from Tim at Fork English :D

Attachments

• IMG_20130422_103340.jpg
    IMG_20130422_103340.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 239
Mindmap3":3he5dm30 said:
Did the jockey wheels arrive OK?

When do the forks arrive back with you?

I was just about to PM you!

Yes, they turned up on Friday and they're now fitted to the mech - I'll go and leave some nice feedback for you now :D

Tim dropped me a pm on Friday to say that he'd received the forks and had a quick look at them. Luckily they sound like they're in good shape internally, but my initial suspicions seem to be partly correct in that the previous owner who claimed to have "fully serviced" them didn't do it properly, and hadn't put the forks back together correctly and put the wrong weight oil in them to boot. Just as well I sent them off! Money well spent :D

Barneyballbags":5p3j91yn said:
Mindmap3":5p3j91yn said:
Did the jockey wheels arrive OK?

When do the forks arrive back with you?

I was just about to PM you!

Yes, they turned up on Friday and they're now fitted to the mech - I'll go and leave some nice feedback for you now :D

Tim dropped me a pm on Friday to say that he'd received the forks and had a quick look at them. Luckily they sound like they're in good shape internally, but my initial suspicions seem to be partly correct in that the previous owner who claimed to have "fully serviced" them didn't do it properly, and hadn't put the forks back together correctly and put the wrong weight oil in them to boot. Just as well I sent them off! Money well spent :D

Good stuff. Sorry about the slight delay in getting them posted; work was mental on Thursday so I didn't get to sneak out to the post office.

Sounds like the service was money well spent. Especially on a slightly complex fork...it's not like servicing the old bombers were there is just a couple of dampers and springs and some oil.

Mindmap3":12wieda3 said:
Sounds like the service was money well spent. Especially on a slightly complex fork...it's not like servicing the old bombers were there is just a couple of dampers and springs and some oil.

It was money which I hadn't budgeted on spending (so my credit card has taken even more of a hit :oops: ) but it was definitely worth doing, just for the peace of mind that I will now have a fully working set of RC40s which should hopefully last a good couple of years before they need doing again :D

Forks should be done tomorrow :D

Cassette, saddle, seatclamp, bottom bracket, cranks, rear mech all fitted.

Just waiting on the headset, shifters and forks to be delivered so that I can crack on and get it finished.

Can't wait :D

Back