Are Triathletes Cyclists?

Interesting question, had a bit of experience recently with a local Tri club. In my opinion they are runners foremost and then cyclist and then swimmers last.

Humm. :? Friend of mine started out racing on a road bike, then went on to track stuff and finally Triathlon. He was deffo a cyclist and a swimmer (an possibly a runner too).

Oh, and he was built like a brick toilet, so in my opinion, he's what he says he is and that's OK with me! :shock:

I have a few friends who are Triathletes - my barber is No3 in the World in his age group and my business partner was South African Junior Champion!

In my expereince the very best Triathletes are swimmers first and then either cyclists or runners. Anyone fit/strong can ride a bike reasonably fast and run for an hour. Swimming fast enough to be competitive is a fine art that is not easily learnt.

:cool: Started off mountain biking mid eighties..slowly got into multisport, and then full blown triathlons from the mid nineties to early 2001...then montain biking again..then got back into kayaking, and quadrathlons..now back to mountain biking and started training now for an attempt next year..2009..at all the 24hr races in the UK...so yes..at the heart of it all..I AM A CYCLIST..!!! :LOL:
A small potted history...many XC and downhill races in the beginning..then many sprint tri's..then longer and longer tri's..4 Ironman races...one Double Ironman (4th)..two Triple Ironman (8th world champs)..then some longer MTB races..and into quadrathlon..2nd at the UK champ's, and silver at the World Quadrathlon Champs's Czech republic...BUT..i cannot leave my mountain bikes alone..so back to the mud it is..but it has to be 24hr racing.
But..i do reckon that a majority of triathletes, if they gave up the sport , would cease to be cyclists also........... :roll:

MadCowKev":aps2f8xs said:
In my expereince the very best Triathletes are swimmers first and then either cyclists or runners. Anyone fit/strong can ride a bike reasonably fast and run for an hour. Swimming fast enough to be competitive is a fine art that is not easily learnt.

I would have to disagree Kev, the swimmings such a small part compared to the other disciplines, then that extra upperbody weight will slows down your bike and run legs. I would say good bikers for IM and good runners for the draft legal stuff.

MadCowKev":1ja7bklx said:

What he said.

Swiming might be the shortest discipline, but with bad technique it's the one that kills you. The best swimmers will glide effortlessly through the water using mainly their arms, saving the legs for the bike and run. Mere mortals will splash about for a while and drag themselves into transition gasping.

I'm not saying that cycling and running are without technique, but there are a lot more people who are naturally reasonably efficient cyclists / runners than swimmers.

Are triathletes cyclists? I was a cyclist who wanted to meet girls and the swimming and running clubs were full of them!

Latest posts

Back