Work bikes

Work horse this week.
462FC261-EC4C-4D6C-915A-303017F5F455-9935-000002E77BE5B52D.jpg

This is being my new work bike this year. Built this winter finally, after 2 years of collecting.
Never posted any bike before here, therefore newbie :D
Waiting for spring, winter is not over here (central Europe) :?

Attachments

• bike30.jpg
    bike30.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,275
Here is my Marin Nail Trail winter bike.... a great ride on icy roads. Petty that the spring is arriving :D

Attachments

• IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 1,245
  • IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 1,245
I ride a Kona Dew FS to work most days - I don't really like it. My backup work bike was a fully rigid Hillside with a Surly 1x1 fork. Now it looks like its going to be a Zaskar with the same fork and a modern mix of bits.

Work as in every day (past work!). Lightened the '89 Ascent with alu bars for steel and a skinnier saddle. Finally polished the spokes and fitted new shiny Q/Rs. Scrubbed all the drive train this a.m. after its bad weather use since Xmas. I've got "up grade" period c'set, mechs, shifters and brakes waiting for it if I can be bothered!

Very comfy bike.

Here's my Iron Horse from the 90's. Last Summer I toured the Europe with it. Next month it's time to conquer Sweden and then a longer tour from Amsterdam to Bryssels.

293516_10200319810063116_546337771_n.jpg

I had to change the LX-shifters as the old ones got jammed in the Finnish Winter and I got tired to service them every week. The NOS LX shifters are still true to the era. The only new part is FSA riser bar I picked from CRC at a bargain price. I'm loving it. The Ritchey pedals came from my Sunn race machine. I have serviced them once in the last 15 years. Great pedals. The only iffy part is the Ritchey head set which is busted. Luckily, I found NOS and already ordered a new one.

The frame is classic double butted 969-steel and there is no rust. I find it amazing as I use it every day in Finland. Our climate is about as harsh as it gets. One day I was biking to work when it was -40C.

The front tire is Nokia W106 studded tire I bought in the 90's. In those times Nokia still made their tires here in Finland and they made them to last :).

I know that it's unconventional to shoot the bike facing the past (mental image as we read from left to right) but for retro bikes it seems appropriate as we are always searching NOS parts and are laughing at these plastic frames they are now offering.

This is my current commuter. No idea what it is; it was a NOS cromo frame, unbranded, bought from Bankrupt Surplus on ebay (who I'm sure many on here are familiar with). It looked early 90s so I built it using 90s parts, mostly NOS and nothing costing more than a tenner. The narrow Charge Straw bars took some getting used to but are great in traffic, and it rides really well. It weights about 27lb.

Green9_zps058eefde.jpg

Green8_zps5df44354.jpg

coomber":22cy3tb9 said:
Yog Sothoth":22cy3tb9 said:
My work bike broke so I bought a frame off ebay and started building this. No idea what it is, it's a cromo tubeset with no decals, NOS, from Bankrupt Surplus. It has canti stops so 90s vintage. A mix of bits I had lying around and budget or bargain parts off the bay. Hope to be riding it to work next week!

IMG_20141_zpsbae550dd.jpg

Saracen probably pro trax. What was frame weight?

No idea. I started building it without weighing it. It's 27lb now it's built up (see post above). Saracen makes sense as Bankrupt Surplus have been selling a lot of NOS Saracen frames over the last few years: must have got a big job lot at some point.

Back