Retro full sus...what would you get??

As something to ride and use I don't think there's anything prior to the Giant NRS around the turn of the century that I would consider. The first system to provide a reasonable degree of isolation from the transmission and thus reduce pedal-bob, while giving sensible spring rates and damping.

97x25_zps1d7f761e.jpg

97x24_zpsc4a49b6b.jpg

Not really a recommendation Wook as I know very little about (full) sus and haven't ridden this yet, but here's a bit of a wildcard suggestion. This is a 97 and there is a 96 version.

Also a bit of a thread hijack as I'd be interested to know what people think of it - either from direct experience or from the picture and knowing their stuff about geometry, engineering etc.

I just picked one of these up. I like the idea of it because it's steel and looks as close to the classic retro shape as any full susser I've seen. Trouble is I'm not sure if those are good criteria for choosing a full susser - heart says yes, head says 'why would they be?'

I once had a (rigid) Sunn and loved it and I don't plan on doing any big stuff so I'm sure I'll have lots of fun with it and what I've read on the net sounds very promising (there's not much).

Any thoughts welcome and I hope you appreciate the contribution Wook! :)

Wow plenty to be thinking about! I think so far I'm liking the look of the Santa Cruz or the Trek 9000. My budget probably wouldn't stretch into the boutique/exotic world thinking a £200 ish bike...will keep my eyes out though...

Thanks for all the replies!

Doug

wookiee":sj299tja said:
Wow plenty to be thinking about! I think so far I'm liking the look of the Santa Cruz or the Trek 9000.

If you want to ride it, the Santa Cruz is about eleventy million times better than the Trek.

MikeD":243tjsem said:
wookiee":243tjsem said:
Wow plenty to be thinking about! I think so far I'm liking the look of the Santa Cruz or the Trek 9000.

If you want to ride it, the Santa Cruz is about eleventy million times better than the Trek.

Theres a shock (er) !

MikeD":3qqansr8 said:
wookiee":3qqansr8 said:

Haha maybe I'll see someone with one at Mayhem that I could have a spin on?

If it was my money, I'd get a '96 LTS with the titanium linkage.

The usual saying is "Strong, Light, Cheap - Pick 2"

You can have all 3 with the GT. A lot of people still ride them which is testament to how well they work. They're easy to service and maintain (replacement parts are still available from http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk), they ride like a dream and you can build one into a sub 26lb bike without much expense.

I had a Team LTS which I stupidly gave away (see my signature), and which I haven't seen or heard anything about since, despite contacting the person I gave it away to on numerous occasions!

Back