The good old days when bike manufacturers publicised weights

Re: The good old days when bike manufacturers publicised wei

Woz":2ucagfa9 said:
Someone quoted KB "light, strong, cheap. Pick two".

So, I want light and cheap please. Because of progress for £900, I'm expecting around 21 lbs please. I'm happy with a full rigid and even 1.95 tyres in either 26" or 29" and I don't want strong cos I'm a bit of a canal tow path rider.

Let's see those modern lightweight £900 rigs without the guff ;)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/boardman-mtb-pro/

$1222.64 on Wiggle's international pricing, works out at about £800. 25.5lbs out of the box. Sell the forks, replace with carbon rigid, should give you a couple of lbs and some money back, so we're now at about 23.5lbs and you've got a couple of hundred in your pocket. Sell the wheels and tyres, and that should net you enough to get a lightweight set of XC wheels on skinny tubeless tyres, so that'll be another couple of lbs right there - which takes it to 21.5lbs, rigid, £900ish. And a frame that will have passed the CEN tests too, something that a retrobike weighing the same most likely wouldn't.

Job done ;)

^ That actually sounds pretty cool. BRB SAVING UP

(And props to the full sus Cannondale at 23ish lbs on the previous page, that's luvly)

So modern bikes CAN be light after all?! We know this. The initial point still stands - why don't bike manufacturers/shops tell people what those weights can be, without making them jump through hoops to either find a review online, or get the guy in the shop to cart out the scales?

All I ask is a bit of service.

And a pie and maybe a copy of Razzle.

Because there's no set standard between manufacturers.

Because one manufacturers size L will be a different size to another manufacturers size L, making comparisons of weight utterly redundant.

Because they don't want to pander to idiots that think weight is more important than how a bike rides and performs.

samc":14afrch8 said:
The initial point still stands - why don't bike manufacturers/shops tell people what those weights can be, without making them jump through hoops to either find a review online, or get the guy in the shop to cart out the scales?

Because most people don't give a shit, and rightly so :)

samc":23hf4rrn said:
The initial point still stands - why don't bike manufacturers/shops tell people what those weights can be, without making them jump through hoops to either find a review online, or get the guy in the shop to cart out the scales?

Giant for one seem to think it's the responsibility of the shop:

Giant's website":23hf4rrn said:
How much does this bike weigh? It’s a common question, and rightly so. But the truth is, there are no industry standards for claiming bike weights—and this leads to a lot of misinformation. Variances exist based on size, frame material, finish and hardware. And as bikes get lighter, these differences become more critical. At Giant, we believe the only way to truly know the weight of any particular bike is to find out for yourself at your local retailer.

yeah. Its probably more important for most peole have all the things they read in magazines should be there.
Right travel
15mm axles
dropper post
lockouts for everything

I just thing it was never too important for manufacturers to make bikes light. Only people that cared and care tune it after, or build it from scratch.
Just now with all the new technology that NEEDS to be there acording to media, is making bikes lighter more and more dificult and expensive..

gradeAfailure":2bgkx948 said:
samc":2bgkx948 said:

Giant for one seem to think it's the responsibility of the shop:

Giant's website":2bgkx948 said:
How much does this bike weigh? It’s a common question, and rightly so. But the truth is, there are no industry standards for claiming bike weights—and this leads to a lot of misinformation. Variances exist based on size, frame material, finish and hardware. And as bikes get lighter, these differences become more critical. At Giant, we believe the only way to truly know the weight of any particular bike is to find out for yourself at your local retailer.
I think they mean go and park your arse on one.

Any fool that buys a bike based on a claimed weight rather than the way it rides is a, Erm, fool.

Marin, Klein, Kona, Dale and a host of others all made a great deal of weight back in the day. Fact.

CAPIN":s7ts5eqc said:
yeah. Its probably more important for most peole have all the things they read in magazines should be there.

Right travel
15mm axles
dropper post
lockouts for everything

How many of those things have you tried?

Back