J Bruno - Vitus 971 - roadbike turned workbike

bduc61

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I know some will find this outrageous :LOL:

As a more MTB guy first, i am using a MTB frame for my workbike/citybike which is based on a Sunn Revolt in Fuji SL from the mid nineties

but at one stage, I thought I needed a roadframe to be more efficient on the Paris streets.
But one constraint I did put - it needed eyes for mudguards. and I discovered it is pretty difficult to find a decent frame with that particulrity.

Spent a few months looking at ads or ebay
and one day, manged to grab this frame.
from an obscure parisian frame maker of the 80's "J. Bruno" - and I could not pass it as my christian name is ..... Bruno !

tubing is vitus supersport 971 - fork is vitus 980
decent weight at 1870 g for the frame in a 54 size and 690 g for the fork

here is the result mounted on a 1x8 mode ( its enough in Paris)
found some nice Dura Ace EX parts - crankset - brake calipers - ( 7200 range I believe - the crankset may be dubbed Shimano SG300 too ?)
rear derailleur is lovely with cable stop and blocking screw on pivots - much more sophisticaed than the later 7400 I am a fan of)
suntour xc pro thumbshifter and Dia compe SS7 levers.
Ok the bar is not period correct ( and more for the fixie nerds) but I wanted a position up for my old bones and wanted a thumbshifter absolutely ( I am beyond the 50 mark ! ;) )
and its quite handy between the paris cars
may try with a bullhorn later :idea:
wheels are not period correct but thay don't "swear" too much with the other parts - Mavic open Pro on ultegra hubs
and to finish some Milremo old mudguards.
Total Weight 9650 g as shown

result - love it :mrgreen:
much quicker in paris than my mtb sunn :LOL:

but cobblestones of the champs elysées a pain in the neck with my tyres of 23 section at 7 bar ! h :cry:
how much pressure do you use in town on a roadie ?

P1030350_zpsced21957.jpg

P1030351_zps5a7f832d.jpg

P1030352_zps7abce3ca.jpg

P1030358_zps92e373f5.jpg

Thats really lovely bduc :)
Great build list and looks really fit for its purpose.
Was in Paris if January and seen some nice machines being used as daily riders, which is good to see. Its got to be the best way round the city.
For the rough cobbles, drop a bar maybe 1 and a half and ride in the gutter section, just dont clip a pedal ;)

Jamie

Back