Rim options please

fiks":1zttnwuv said:
FINNEY1973":1zttnwuv said:
99% on having clinchers and am going to try and get hold of some as a built wheelset - found some only for the seller to pull the sale without warning!

i've also purchased a pair of Galli rims (tubs) so that I can have a go (commence lots of profanities) at building a set of wheels myself - god help me on that one!

so here's today's stupid questions....any facts / knowledge / course of action would be massively appreciated

1] once i've sourced some hubs (32F / 36R) preferably Shimano (and matching - this may prove tricky) how do I know what spoke-sets to buy i.e. length, type etc? what about spoke nipples - are these standard or do different ones go with different spokes?
2] retailers in the UK where I can get some decent ones, don't want the cheap & cheerful ones.
3] front will be built in radial formation but what options have I got for the rear?

cheers guys...

I'd suggest do a web search, or search various UK based cycling forums, or start a new thread, for the above otherwise this thread is going to go off topic.

Mavic Open Pro low profile look old school

As far as I'm concerned the Open pro and similar are current modern rims. They have a different shape compared with the older shallow box section rim.

i've been immersing myself in methods & how to's for wheel building so i've got a reasonable starting point there. need to get some hubs and then work out what spokes I need...as you say a new thread will be required on that one.

Midlife":24xzevma said:
I'd contact some one who knows about wheels to supply the spokes, like bm0p700f on here :D

Shaun

cheers Shaun, that's just the job. parts bin has come on trumps - got a set of campag hubs laced to alesa rims that are ok but all the spokes are done for so i'll dismantle these and when my rims arrive i'll be in a position to get on with this. alas the rear hub hasnt got the correct number of holes for the new rim but as this is a skill learning exercise I can do the front wheel and decide whether i've got the skills or it's better to let someone else do it :shock:

Back